Re: Barcode Email

From: Stephen Sprunk (stephen_at_sprunk.org)
Date: 08/01/05

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:08:01 -0500

"Ari Silversteinn" <abcarisilverstein@yahoo.comxyz> wrote in message
news:1jztds5q49gkd.13ogsxccmut38$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:44:17 -0400, Stephen K. Gielda wrote:
>> The one problem you face is that some kid somewhere will crack
>> your substitution encoding and post a reader to all the cracks and
>> warez groups if your product captures even 1% of the market in
>> your niche. Your users will then view your product as worthless
>> when their 13 year old shows them the reader. A reputation lost is
>> hard to regain. To maintain profitability and marketablity you'll need
>> a little more added. That same programming loop you'd have in the
>> code performing the substitution could easily be doing some
>> excryption. Your end user still won't see it.
>
> Yes, I see what you mean. Then comes the question of what zero
> cost, zero overhead encryption would I use and how to implement it?

There are many solid algorithms (actually, nearly all of them) that are
royalty-free and implemented in open source or public domain libraries. All
you have to do is learn the API and link to the library.

> Question two, what if the substitution is randomly generated and the
> substitution set is comprised of 27 different languages, including
> obscure dialectical ones?

If the substitution is randomly generated, then you'll need a way to
communicate what it is to the receiver, i.e. you've introduced a key. And,
once you have the hassle of communicating a key safely, then you might as
well use a good encryption algorithm instead of substitution.

The overwhelming cost and complexity of any encryption/authentication system
is in the secure transmission of keys -- and without keys, you have no
security, only obscurity.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov

Relevant Pages

  • Re: JCL procedure parameters
    ... performing substitution using jcl syntax substitution rules. ... If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... >> The one problem you face is that some kid somewhere will crack ... >> when their 13 year old shows them the reader. ... >> code performing the substitution could easily be doing some ... well use a good encryption algorithm instead of substitution. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... >> If you're trying to describe a simple substitution cipher, ... groups if your product captures even 1% of the market in your niche. ... old shows them the reader. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... >> If you're trying to describe a simple substitution cipher, ... groups if your product captures even 1% of the market in your niche. ... old shows them the reader. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Looking for simple, pencil and paper type encryption...
    ... Looking for simple, pencil and paper type encryption, but something ... blanks to solve the encryption once they have the codeword. ... just harder than simple substitution. ... coorspondes to the number of letters in the code word. ...
    (sci.crypt)