Re: Barcode Email

From: Tom St Denis (tomstdenis_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/26/05

Date: 26 Jul 2005 07:42:27 -0700

Ari Silversteinn wrote:
> > If privacy doesn't matter to your intended audience... what does your
> > product give them that they can actually use?
>
> It matters to the intended audience, where did you miss that part? What
> doesn't matter, if I must say it for the fiftieth time, is the content of
> what is being passed.

Say what? The content is the message is it not? Or are you
side-encoding your message into like lengths of bitmaps or something?

Put it this way, if you need privacy then you should use a proper
cipher in a proper mode. You can then encode that ciphertext as a
barcode or whatever else.

Anything less than this and you're just peddling snake oil.

Tom

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... Ari Silversteinn wrote: ... > It matters to the intended audience, where did you miss that part? ... cipher in a proper mode. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Blockcipher >256 bit (for hardware implementation)
    ... I was about to make several uneducated responses - instead, could someone explain what code stealing is? ... It's not a substitute for a proper mode and a proper IV. ... Your condition "if the first 192 bits of two plaintexts are identical" applies just as well to a plain old 128-bit block size encryption performed without a proper mode and IV. (The OP's idea that somehow a 256-bit message and its 64-bit MAC should be encrypted by the application of a cipher to a single 320-bit block is dubious.) ... But the cost of this is may be fast approaching the cost of a generic ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... In comp.security.misc Ari Silversteinn wrote: ... >> broken in a few months, tops. ... It's not needed to be broken, because there is no cipher at all there ... Irony has to be marked as clear as possible. ...
    (comp.security.misc)