Re: [OT] Spyware is coming on your PC

From: Cerian Knight (cerian_at_comcast)
Date: 07/18/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:30:51 -0500

    Andreas Kohlbach <ankman@email.com> gyrated his joystick in a pattern
    that spelled out:

    <snip>
    >> I just got done manually cleaning an infestation of exe and dll files
    >> from our work internet access terminal. They were located in root,
    >> Temp, Program Files, System, etc.
    >
    > If people would stop being Admin there would be less problems.
    >
    > Malware in Temp is not a problem.

    Forgot to mention...Our IT department installed 98se for the internet
    computer. Not very responsible, IMHO. I just use the system, but refuse to
    use it when it has been compromised. Having no patience, I clean it myself
    before use. ALL of the above locations had nosey EXEs running and intalled
    in reg run keys, even in TEMP.

    There are about 15 people who use the system, so no telling who has been
    surfing on the fringe. Funny thing is that users have a choice of Firefox
    and IE. Personally, I use Firefox for everything except the sites that I
    know it does not work properly with. ;(

    This is all irrelevant anyway. Well, at least according to this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050713/index.html

    • Re: Error Problem
      ... quick enough that it's not refreshed from the backup folder. ... All of the DLL files are version 2.1.4026.0. ... But the MM Exe itself is version 2.03312.0 (obviously where the number is ... I deleted them and MovieMaker would not open; ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
    • Why Do So Many Windows EXEs Require Write Attribute File Permissions?
      ... I'm noticing that a very large number of EXE and DLL files in c:\windows of ... both Windows XP and Windows 2003 require the executor to have "Write ... Without that permission the EXE ...
    • "Warning: corrupted executable files"
      ... What does it mean when AVG said wrt .exe and .dll files "Warning: ... Especailly when they are winME files ... So 75, but not all, of the .exe and .dll files got moved to the virus ...
      (alt.comp.anti-virus)
    • Re: 1,116,069 should be Gb.. Deleting caused system to be restored.... Pic of cleanmgr encl.
      ... I got the math wrong.. ... But what does that half to do with the deletion of all those .exe and .dll files?? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Using a package like PyInstaller
      ... enclose a bmp or another file for that matter in the exe. ... when the py script is run I am leaving behind files. ... setenv TEMP temp ... $pythonexe Build.py passerby/passerby.spec ...
      (comp.lang.python)