Re: two attempted break-ins from Hong Kong & Italy

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 07/05/05

Date: 5 Jul 2005 16:22:12 GMT

Sensei <senseiwa@tin.it> writes:

>yarmfelder@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I would like to announce two attempted but failed
>> break-in attempts to a computer that I have locally.

>We have 20.000 break-in attempts. I shall declare war to the world.

>> I shall certainly be reporting this to the appropriate
>> authorities :)

>1. Who cares about those complains? Nobody, trust me.
>2. Do you really care those IP are real? If the cracker is good...

Let me explain why you are getting such dismissive responses.
a) This happens all the time to everyone who has ssh open on their system .
And those sites are probably "innocent" sites which have been broken into
by the crackers who then launched the attack. Unfortunately there is little
you can do about it, except make sure that all you users use good
passwords.
b) Reporting this to this newsgroup certainly will not help. Again, those
sites are not unique, and if everyone reported such attempts, this
newsgroup would have 10000 posts a day, and would be useless for anything
else.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: two attempted break-ins from Hong Kong & Italy
    ... Do you really care those IP are real? ... If the cracker is good... ... Reporting this to this newsgroup certainly will not help. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: two attempted break-ins from Hong Kong & Italy
    ... Do you really care those IP are real? ... If the cracker is good... ... Reporting this to this newsgroup certainly will not help. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Ensoul/Lynn AGAIN
    ... you win the cracker. ... Take care. ... bet them a soda cracker about something. ... funny when we go to Texas she says it seems when we cross the Red River ...
    (alt.support.chronic-pain)
  • Re: Mozilla/Firefox 1.5 is excellent!. Much better than IE...
    ... Polly want a cracker? ... Who made you spokesman for this newsgroup? ... Both you and Gordon post biased posts on occasion, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: crack cd
    ... >> The crowd in this newsgroup is probably not going to be able or willing ... >> installing any warez as it will interfere with the cracker stuff. ... bypass it and connect direct to the cable modem (NAT interferes ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)