Re: Making Outpost work

From: Darko Gavrilovic (darkoDOTgavrilovicATutorontoDOTca)
Date: 03/25/05

    Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:53:23 -0600

    1~~

    Franklin <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in news:961E6208F2A2271F3M4@
    204.153.244.156:

    > I am on XP Pro + SP1 and have taken out a trial of Outpost Pro 2.5.
    >
    > I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. At the moment
    > my Opera browser gets blocked whenever my third-party clipboard
    > manager (Yankee Clipper) pastes a URL into the address bar.
    >
    > Outpost complains about the clipboard utility trying to change a
    > component of the brwoser. Huh? I don't understand it and what's
    > worse i don't know how to prevent Outpost blocking the browser at
    > that point.
    >
    > Can anyone advise please.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > On a larger scale, is it worth peristing with Outpost? As it seems
    > like quite a headache to get right.
    >
    > I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX,
    > scripts, etc. Those things my I do well enough in the browser or in
    > my antivirus software and I don't have a MAJOR NEED for a second line
    > of defense against them.
    >
    > As beackground I have used:
    >
    > Sygate Free 5.5 and Sygate Pro 5.5 and both were ok (reporting is
    > better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools).
    >
    > free Kerio (2.1.5) but reporting and user interface were always a bit
    > too tricky to use comfortably.
    >
    > Zone Alarm Pro 4.5 but I continually get alert messages about
    > loopback 127.0.0.1 and suspected application hijacking (EG when the
    > browser calls the emailer). Reporting is not good either.
    >
    > Is it worth me trying a different firewall?

    Hi. I don't know what kind of reporting you need.I use Sygate myself. But
    have always thought the software firewalls more or less are very similar -
    except for windows firewalls, which are close to useless. Here is a link to
    comparisons. There are other tests if you google.

    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

    If you are thinking of possibly adding an additional hardware device that
    acts like a firewall, you may get the added reporting you need. A Cisco 501
    is a little extreme.

    I try to find useful and user friendly implementations of Linux. I have
    found 2 products that are quite easy to use and have a nice friendly
    support community where you can aks questions an not recieve rude replys. I
    deploy both.

    smoothwall - http://smoothwall.org/
    build on linux. you can install it on a machine with quite low hardware
    specs, depending on the features you need. i have heard of people running
    it on a PII with 64mb RAM. A great way to re-use old machines.

    monowall - http://m0n0.ch/wall/
    Build on bsd. Similar to above. More options and a little less user
    friendly. Added bonus is it's designed to work on soekris hardware thats
    optimized for firewall, router functionality and designed to be running
    24/7.

    In both cases you can extract very indept reporting from them.

    Cheers

    1~

    --
    "Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams