Re: Making Outpost work

From: Mike (NoSpam_at_NoSpam.net)
Date: 03/25/05

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:36:15 -0500

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:19:29 +0100, Thomas Ludwig
<Thomas.Ludwig@gmx.de> wrote:

>> I am on XP Pro + SP1 and have taken out a trial of Outpost Pro 2.5.
>>
>> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. At the moment
>> my Opera browser gets blocked whenever my third-party clipboard
>> manager (Yankee Clipper) pastes a URL into the address bar.
>>
>> Outpost complains about the clipboard utility trying to change a
>> component of the brwoser.
>I'm not familiar with this utility, but you should try to understand what
>it's doing. Aside from that you can configure component control in OP - you
>can even disable it but that's not recommended. Read the manual and go to
>the OP forum at http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/ where you will get a
>lot of help.
>
>> Huh? I don't understand it and what's
>> worse i don't know how to prevent Outpost blocking the browser at
>> that point.
>
>Just because you have a lack of understanding doesn't mean that there are
>no threats around. As a matter of fact they are becoming more and more
>severe. Protecting a computer is a complex task, and gaining some knowledge
>about it is inevitable. In my view, OP offers a level of protection no
>other PFW does. E.g., it protects against nearly all known leaktests
>contrary to other competing products. But it's only one element of
>protection - others are: a good antivirus program, replacing IE and Outlook
>by Firefox and Thunderbird, surfing only under a restricted user account,
>keeping one's brain switched on (probably the most important one).
>

>> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX,
>> scripts, etc. Those things my I do well enough in the browser or in
>> my antivirus software and I don't have a MAJOR NEED for a second line
>> of defense against them.
>
>Are you sure? The big advantage of OP is its abilty to block all the Active
>Content you mentioned by default thus protecting you against the associated
>risks. On the other hand you can selectively allow one or several of these
>active elements for specific sites which you consider trustworthy - a great
>feature.
>>
>> As beackground I have used:
>>
>> Sygate Free 5.5 and Sygate Pro 5.5 and both were ok (reporting is
>> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools).
>>
>> free Kerio (2.1.5) but reporting and user interface were always a bit
>> too tricky to use comfortably.
>>
>> Zone Alarm Pro 4.5 but I continually get alert messages about
>> loopback 127.0.0.1 and suspected application hijacking (EG when the
>> browser calls the emailer). Reporting is not good either.
>>
>> Is it worth me trying a different firewall?
>
>Well, I've tried all above firewalls before I switched to Outpost. OP
>offers the best protection and value for me. It's getting better and better
>with each new version, and it's very stable.

I just wish they would fix the bugs in it, like the one that
continually warns about changed components when none have changed....

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Making Outpost work
    ... >> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. ... Protecting a computer is a complex task, ... >> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX, ... >> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools). ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Making Outpost work
    ... >> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. ... Protecting a computer is a complex task, ... >> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX, ... >> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools). ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Alternative to Norton Internet Security?
    ... I have net experienced any viruses or other unwanted downloads / attacks. ... Is there an alternative security software/system available that is as good at protecting my system but without the cost in system performance? ... What WinXP's firewall does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you might download and install inadvertently. ... it is incumbent upon each and every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows 98 box is owned; Re:
    ... I consider NetGear and LinkSys to be ... piggy-backing on an install) is deception with an ActiveX prompt. ... >> for a true hardware firewall. ... >> My argument wasn't that home users needed a true hardware firewall. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Firewall and Internet Reporting Software...Best One?
    ... Firewall and Internet Reporting Software...Best One? ... Webtrends offers very good graphing, reporting, etc. ... since the firewall logs IP addresses rather than user names of the ...
    (Security-Basics)