Re: Yet another reason to hate Yahoo

From: Phyl (pab23_at_N0spamarama.earthlink.net)
Date: 12/27/04

    Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:16:55 GMT

    Smarty Jones < wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:13:33 GMT, Phyl
    > <pab23@N0spamarama.earthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>James H. Hood wrote:
    >>

    >>>Phyl <pab23@N0spamarama.earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>of

    >>>is

    >>>any

    >>>children

    >>>Here comes somebody with proof that shoots down your claim, and all you can
    >>>do is hurl insults in return. Typical libdem.
    >>
    >>Heh.
    >>
    >>Three examples (there are many more):
    >>
    >>http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/pkves/esl.htm
    >>"Research shows that it takes at least 5-7 years for a student who has
    >>had 2-3 years of schooling in their first language to perform in the
    >>50th percentile on a typical standardized test given in English and it
    >>takes at least 7-10 years for a student who has had no schooling in
    >>their first language to perform in the 50th percentile."
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/4sg3e
    >>"According to research, students in ESL-only programs, with ... level
    >>norms of their native English-speaking peers ... come to the US take at
    >>least 5-7 years to reach grade level norms."
    >>
    >>http://www.cal.org/caela/faqs.htm
    >>"The amount of time it takes an adult to learn English varies from
    >>person to person and depends on such factors as the individual's age,
    >>educational background, level of literacy in the native language, and
    >>opportunities to interact with native English speakers. However, it is
    >>generally accepted that it takes from 5-7 years to go from not knowing
    >>any English at all to being able to accomplish most communication tasks
    >>including academic tasks (Collier, 1989)."
    >>
    >>Now the onus is on you to disprove my point.
    >

    > My father was the proof. Disprove him, Phyl.

    I'm really Julia Roberts. Disprove me, Smarty.

    P.S., how come you wimped out at Belmont?

    --
    Phyl
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,

    • Re: Subtitutes for English /T/ and /D/
      ... substitution for most native English speakers. ... The more familiar the accent becomes, ...
      (sci.lang)
    • Re: that
      ... speaker of English, but that's irrelevant. ... O'Hara" and Ray O'Hara would post under the name of "Farhad". ... even native English speakers don't always speak native ...
      (alt.usage.english)
    • Re: PROJECT BLACKHAT
      ... most native english speakers i know have hard times to ... native language of the biggest crowd as common language... ... too the poor guy complaiing about german amiga freaks: ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: the command of the English language
      ... creates the attractive flow characteristic of fluent English prose.. ... This results in a more bureaucratic language. ... In contrast the meaning of a phrasal verb ... English would be an easy enough language for native English speakers to ...
      (alt.usage.english)