Re: Yet another reason to hate Yahoo

From: Phyl (pab23_at_N0spamarama.earthlink.net)
Date: 12/26/04

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:56:29 GMT

Harry Krause wrote:

> James H. Hood wrote:
>
>> Harry Krause <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> children

>>> It takes a few years for a child whose native language is NOT English to
>>> pick up the skills in English needed to be proficient in the second
>>> language.
>>

>> Bullshit. If you lived in a locale with a huge Mexican immigrant
>> population
>> as I do (San Antonio), you'd be ashamed at the rank dishonesty you spout.
>>

> How many languages other than English do you speak and read with real
> proficiency, fella?
>
> How long did it take you to become proficient? And by proficient, I
> don't mean "where's the bathroom?" and "how much is that trinket?"

That's the important distinction, you're right!

Children especially (before around age 12, when myelinization occurs)
learn conversational English (or second language) very quickly, and
people think that the kids are fluent, but they're not yet. They have a
difficult time using that second language to learn - reading text,
following discussions and lectures from teachers - for many years. It
doesn't mean they won't be able to, it just means it takes time.

Of course, some people posting on this subject don't realize that :)

--
Phyl
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,