Re: I am protected?

darkhack_at_gmail.com
Date: 12/10/04

    Date: 10 Dec 2004 00:21:40 -0800

    I would listen to all these guys and it probebly wouldnt hurt to
    actually find some hacker sites so that you can find the flaws and read
    about them as soon as hackers... or atleast script kiddies do anyway.

    Ever heard of the expression "The only safe computer is the one that is
    unplugged"?

    Also I think I would like to add one other tip. Don't make your self a
    target. Even if your computer is left open... such as only using the
    windows firewall and not having a router or some form of only basic
    protection, if you are not a target the worse thing that will happen is
    you will get a bunch of script kiddies pinging you.

    The set up you described is a pretty good one. Not unhackable mind
    you, but secure enough to keep the script kiddies out and probebly even
    mediocer hackers.

    Just don't go around calling people "noobs" or say things like "i dare
    you to hack me... biatch!" or generally being an ass cause a real
    hacker might come along and make you shut up.

    if you still arnt confident enough in this "dont make your self a
    target" deal... Kevin Rose... he is on a TV show about computers. He
    once set up a computer with ONLY windows update and the windows
    firewall. No router or other firewall. He announced the IP on air and
    asked people to hack it. Guess what? No one could!

    The point is, is that if your computer is out their in a sea of others,
    you have very little chance of being a target. If a guy with a less
    secure computer than you can go on TV and say the IP and dare people to
    hack it, then I would assume your pretty safe since no one was able to
    complete Kevin's request.

    • Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux
      ... It takes a certain level of sophistication to set up a DNS server, the necassary port forwards from the "router", and the trojan file server for the package. ... I have always espoused that security should be balanced with the potential motivation for a skilled hacker to target you, why did a hacker target you? ... from internal network on 2 debian boxes (ignored the warning from apt-get, that the checksum from one package was wrong.. ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: Stop bad software
      ... would target linux. ... with equal market share Windows would have more problems. ... The fact of the matter is that flaws in other ... operating systems are not as readily identified because no hacker is ...
      (misc.consumers)
    • Re: Stop bad software
      ... would target linux. ... with equal market share Windows would have more problems. ... The fact of the matter is that flaws in other ... operating systems are not as readily identified because no hacker is ...
      (misc.consumers)
    • PC Magazine: Hack Everything
      ... Hack Everything ... Once upon a time, the hacker was a pale, solitary nerd. ... next: Hack Your Registry ... Just about everything that is important about your Microsoft Windows ...
      (alt.2600)
    • Re: [PHP] how to not show login info in the url ...what am I looking for?
      ... > When I say "Hack a site" I mean to do something to get the site to ... the site" instead of "hacking the site". ... Cracking is not just about encryption. ... A hacker to me, is an admirable person, who can find new security issues. ...
      (php.general)