Re: Can't get ThinkPad T42 to connect to Netgear MR314 w/ 128 bit WEP

From: Airhead (campbell_at_alliancecable.net)
Date: 11/28/04

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:01:54 -0600

What type of wireless is on the laptop, my t42 has a intel 2200bg,
using intel 8.0.12.20000 driver. COuld be with the work drive image
that it is using just a compatible driver, if so might help to update.

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:48:38 -0500, "News Reader"
> <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
> >Oh, I might add that I don't think I'm even getting to the point
where
> >getting the DHCP lease failing would be to blame (where
IPCONFIG/RELEASE +
> [...]
> >luck there, either.
>
> Ugh. I was assuming that you were getting a wireless association
> (connection) and were dealing strictly with a DHCP issue. To
> troubleshoot a "cannot connect" issue, we need some info on your
> laptop configuration.
> -Do you have XP SP2 installed?
> -Are you running Wireless Zero Config in addition to the
> IBM Access Connections thing?
> -Is there anything unusual in the Device Manager (more red x's)?
> -Does your corporate configuration include a proprietary VPN shim?
>
> If you're getting the message "There's wireless networks out there",
> does your wireless routers SSID show up on the list when displayed?
> If so, your laptop is hearing the broadcasts. If it takes a while
> before the X appears and it fails to connect, it could be:
> -Bad WEP key. Use 5 chars for 64bit, 13 chars for 128bit.
> -Battle between Wireless Zero Config and your wireless card.
> Disable WZC under Control Panel -> Admin Stuff -> Services
> or temporarily with:
> net stop WZCSVC
>

> Drivel: You might wanna download and run Belarc Advisor:
> http://www.belarc.com
> It's a free "inventory" program that generates a web page with all
> your hardware, software, versions, serials, updates, nicely
itemized.
> If you don't know what IT shoved into your machine, this will tell
> you. From experience, imaged installs tend to be seriously out of
> data as to updates and bug fixes.
>

> >"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message

> >drive
> >>
> >> I've run into exactly the same problem with other laptops and
routers.
> >> What's common is that W2K and XP are rather tenacious about
retaining
> >> the previous IP address. You go to work, get an IP address from
their
> >> system, come home, and it still thinks you're at work. You can
see it
> >> happen by running:
> >> Start -> Run -> cmd
> >> IPCONFIG
> >> If it show the last IP addresses as assigned by work, some hot
spot,
> >> the hotel, or whatever, that's the problem.
> >>
> >> Reboot, snarl, banging on the keyboard does nothing. A few
things
> >> that work are:
> >> IPCONFIG /RELEASE
> >> (wait about 5 seconds)
> >> IPCONFIG /RENEW
> >> and then run:
> >> IPCONFIG
> >> to see if it worked.
> >>
> >> IBM has it's own profile manager which I assume works, as I've
never
> >> tried it. Instead, I use NetSwitcher:
> >> http://www.netswitcher.com
> >> for manageing locations. I have a worse problem. I have to have
my
> >> laptop ready and configured for every one of my custmers LANs.
Last
> >> time I counted, I had about 70 different configurations stored.
Some
> >> have VPN's, some use LDAP directory services, a few Kerberos
> >> authentications, some proxy servers, some multiple protocols, and
> >> few protocol shims. Of course the names or IP addresses for
non-DHCP
> >> delivered devices, such as SMTP email servers, change at each
> >> location. It's a nice mess that NetSwitcher solves.
Unfortunately,
> >> for really drastic changes, Netswitcher requires a reboot, so it
> >> sometimes turns into a time burner. I try to switch
configuration
> >> before I arrive.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> >> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
> >

> --
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linksys WRT54G acts like a dumb hub, no DHCP or wireless capabilities
    ... laptop and the PC would lose connection with the router. ... Well, the results are the same: I can connect to the wireless network, ... but after about 10 minutes I will lose connection with the router. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Peer to peer wifi setup
    ... The desktop has a simple DSL connection to ... Verizon and a wireless adapter through which I want to give my laptop ...
  • Re: Trouble setting up a secure wireless network
    ... My current wireless status is that I am hooked up ... enable wireless encrption on the laptop. ... >> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... >> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ...
  • RE: unplug and power up dsl modem and router
    ... This is happening more to my wife's new Toshiba laptop running Vista than to ... power to the DSL modem and the wireless router, wait a few seconds, re-power ... the modem and router, wait 3 minutes then start Internet Explorer. ... Is the connection wired or wireless?, this can indicate a bad firmware or ...
  • Re: un solvable problem
    ... if you take the laptop to a free-wifi provider ... Wireless) and different locations ... firewall software might be blocking the connection to your mail server. ... I took the laptop out the next day and used Outlook but used it OFF ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)