Re: DCOM and Windows Image Acquisition

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 11/09/04

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:09:05 -0500

If you used a Cable/DSL Router, then that "risk" would be mitigated, DCOM can be enabled and
the point would be moot.

Dave

"Franklin" <no_thanks@mail.com> wrote in message
| I have XP Pro on single home PC connected via cable.
|
| I have disabled DCOM because I have heard it is a security risk.
|
| However Windows Image Acquisition (I think) keeps trying to start
| DCOM and i get a lot of "red" errors in the System Log.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DCOM and Windows Image Acquisition
    ... > I have disabled DCOM because I have heard it is a security risk. ... > However Windows Image Acquisition keeps trying to start ... > Event Source: DCOM ... > attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to ...
  • Re: DCOM and Windows Image Acquisition
    ... | I have disabled DCOM because I have heard it is a security risk. ... | Event Source: DCOM ... | attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: DCOM and Windows Image Acquisition
    ... | I have disabled DCOM because I have heard it is a security risk. ... | Event Source: DCOM ... | attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to ...
  • xp startup problems - Freezes at startup - Help
    ... Event Source: LoadPerf ... Computer: ROB-NOTEBOOK ... see Help and Support Center at ... Event Source: DCOM ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WIA and hibernation again
    ... Event Source: DCOM ... DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. ... Event Type: Error ... Or, we can change them at the command prompt if you wish, I need the results of the following command before I can give you the proper commands to change the start type: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)