Re: Probes on Port 135 and 445 continue

From: Leythos (void_at_nowhere.org)
Date: 10/13/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:54:22 GMT

In article <slrncmohdk.6li.ibuprofin@atlantis.phx.az.us>,
ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld says...
> In article <MPG.1bd5abc3dbfdf6d3989843@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> Leythos wrote:
>
> >And I would bet that 90% of the clueless home users would never have a
> >problem with it - never be impacted by NAT.
>
> I certainly see enough lusers complaining that IRC doesn't work because
> they block or drop port 113. I'm ignoring the applications used to
> share copyright protected material because it's often illegal, but that's
> still going to create a lot of whining.

As I said before, and many times with this idea, if you need a public IP
all you have to do is request it, the default will be NAT.

> >That's just one reason. I can't imagine anyone wanting to run their
> >businesses on public IP's.
>
> So, the first sixty or so lines in
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space are showing a bunch
> of wasted IP space, eh? And we're not even talking about the rest of
> the Fortune 500 that's scattered in what used to be called "Class B"
> space.
>
> Maybe you can't imagine anyone doing so, but there seem to be a few
> organizations that are doing so. Do they _NEED_ all those public IP

I found several state agencies that were running all of their computers
on public IP's, in fact, they had a firewall, but it was setup to pass
ALL traffic in/out without restrictions - funny way of doing it. We
converted them to 32 Public IP natted through the firewall, and then 4
class C segments using private addresses. Took about a week due to some
desktop machines having Fixed IP's.

> addresses? Probably not. How do you propose that they fund the effort
> to change all of the un-needed public IPs to RFC1918. Or have you never
> thought about changing the IP addresses of a few thousand computers without
> disrupting normal operation? Routing tables? DNS? Firewall rules?

As a matter of fact, I have done this, and it's not easy. We do it over
a weekend and after staging things during the month before it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Probes on Port 135 and 445 continue
    ... I'm ignoring the applications used to ... I can't imagine anyone wanting to run their ... I found several state agencies that were running all of their computers ... on public IP's, in fact, they had a firewall, but it was setup to pass ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Black,Blue,andBlack again
    ... then me rebooting more times than I can count. ... seriously and have always used ZoneAlarm, ... This way in the past we have been able to stop our computers from being ... We have now tried using another firewall software called Sygate Personal ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Sharing a printer
    ... Here are general network troubleshooting steps. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ... On the assumption that you in fact do have a router that connects to the Internet and that your computers then connect to the router, then if you think that you have one IP for multiple computers then you probably are using a website tool such as http://whatismyip.com/ That shows the your public IP address -- the one that the rest of the world sees. ...
  • Re: Networks : Workgroups and Domains. How Do I Use Them?
    ... in My Network Places, it may take some time for a network resource to show up. ... all of the computers must be on the same subnet. ... it depends on whether you have Simple File Sharing enabled or disabled. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
  • Re: cannot get XP printer to share with vista PC
    ... You have to set up file/printer sharing first. ... a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful ... put all computers in the same Workgroup. ... Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the ...