Re: My bank uses Windows? Is "Check 21" safe?

From: xmp (xmp_at_example.com)
Date: 10/10/04

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 22:46:16 GMT

Leythos wrote:

> In all the years I've managed and designed computers and networks I've
> never had a compromised machine on our networks or our clients networks
> when we were in charge of the network.
>
> A bank is going to be locked down more than you would imagine, and much
> more than any non-banking corporate environment.

Oh really? Why did many ATM's go down during LSASS and DCOM worms?

> Windows is easy to manage, secure, and keep bug free in a controlled
> environment.

The crux of your statement is "controlled environment." By playing
games with semantics (which I'm certain you will do), the statement is
incredibly vague, and thus meaningless.

> Since about half the of the business servers and more than
> half of the workstations are running Windows I would not sweat it.

Um no, you sir, are what we call a zealot. Trusted Solaris, Trusted
HP-UX, now those are relatively secure.

As far as workstations, I've run across HP-UX and QNX frequently, in
more mission critical applications than the pedestrian desktops in the
offices.

Why do think DOCKMASTER was run on Trusted Multics until 1998?

michael

Relevant Pages