Re: The very basics of security

From: Todd Knarr (tknarr_at_silverglass.org)
Date: 09/24/04

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:21 GMT

In comp.security.misc <2fe7b80f.0409231702.1610f0fe@posting.google.com> walterbyrd <walterbyrd@iname.com> wrote:
> Sometimes, you may have to use msie.
> - to upgrade your windows systems
> - to use a shockwave site (I had to fill out a timesheet on a
> shockwave site to get paid).

Windows Update you're right on. There's no need to use IE to get
Shockwave/Flash though, since plugins for it are available for the
Mozilla family (Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox).

> Practically all the HTML email I get is innocent. Stuff from my family
> etc. Good idea about the attachments.

And when someone in your family infects themselves with the latest
Windows worm and it starts e-mailing itself to everyone in their
address book, including you, using an HTML-based exploit to infect
the target machine without user intervention? Just because it came
from a trusted person's system doesn't mean that person sent it.

> Also, I think the "Remember This Passord" Feature can be shut off. I
> never cared for that "feature" anyway.

That's not what he was talking about, I think. One standard feature of
password-cracking programs is to do variations on known passwords, so
if the cracker knows you used password X on one site he doesn't have
to search all passwords for you on another site, he can start by trying
variations on X. If you use slight variations of the same password then
the search universe is relatively tiny.

--
All I want out of the Universe is 10 minutes with the source code and
a quick recompile.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: getting rid of reset disc
    ... Assign all new passwords to all accounts and password protect your BIOS. ... Go through this list and secure your PC. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Attack From Registry Cleaner
    ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... >> why you should understand and utilize good passwords. ... >> Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... >> The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
  • Re: i hate HACKERS
    ... > If english is not your native language, might I suggest one more suited to ... > - Have you regularly changed your passwords and made sure they are strong ... > I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... > Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
  • Re: How to set up a secure XP windows home edition w/service pack
    ... and Windows is not allowed for security cleared research. ... > your computer online - meaning you likely have usernames and passwords ... > Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... > The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
  • Re: Destroy, Corrupt, Permanently Delete Remote Instructions, please.
    ... > and notebooks) running Windows XP Pro and Windows 98SE. ... > internet and undoubtedly, collecting all available information. ... If you were to do everything on this list of TIPS and have a firewall router ... your computer and change all of your passwords to something ...