Re: **Secure** Ftp server

From: Mike (honey_at_michaelmoyse.co.uk)
Date: 07/27/04

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:43:59 +0100

Leythos wrote:
> In article <ce5hqk$16p$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk
> says...
>
>>Leythos wrote:
>>

>>>In article <ce54oo$njp$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk
>>>says...

>>>If you use an NT account for authentication it requires a license for
>>>each active account that is in use - if you have 5 CAL's you can have 5
>>>FTP users connected simultaneously (4 if you are running services as
>>>Administrator on the server).... If you are using Anonymous accounts
>>>then it's open to any number of users.
>>
>>Do you have a source for that information? Everything I've found so far
>>points to the contrary. Next time I have to call Micrsoft Licensing I'll
>>ask the question though.
>

> Just the Great Lakes Regional Office (here in my city) where I've spent
> hours with them going over Licenses for new installations and such. MS
> does not make understanding Licenses an easy thing. When I called their
> main number, in Redmond, to ask about Licensing for SQL 2000, they
> actually told me to take the agreement to an attorney and ask him. When
> I told the GLRO that they were flabbergasted and spent a couple hours
> with me going over all license types so that we could make sure our
> customers got their systems licensed properly.

better point them at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;151307 and get
them to correct it then. It makes no distinction between authenticated
and anonymous ftp access and just says you don't need a CAL for FTP.

--
Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be

Relevant Pages

  • Re: **Secure** Ftp server
    ... Next time I have to call Micrsoft Licensing I'll ... > Just the Great Lakes Regional Office where I've spent ... and anonymous ftp access and just says you don't need a CAL for FTP. ... Real email to mike. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: how to enbed wmp9 for windows mobile
    ... Good luck;-) ... >> used your real email address) would you like to post it as an archive ... >> on a public site and publish the address? ... given that this is allowed by the licensing. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.multimedia)