Re: Unpatched Windows Vunerabilities

From: Pat (patkay_156_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 07/02/04

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:38:22 +0100

Leythos wrote:
> In article <cc21am$m3$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, patkay_156
> @yahoo.co.uk says...

>>>What kind of PC are you running? I ask because I have hundreds of them
>>>that get Windows Updates all the time and I've not seen one trashed yet.
>>>

>>It was a custom built pc from aria.co.uk
>>
>>P4 2.4 GHz
>>Abit BD7-II RAID Mobo
>>ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
>>512 Mb DDR RAM
>>160 Gig Maxtor HD
>>Pioneer DVD-R Drive
>>Some noname CD-RW
>>
>>Running the update caused this problem:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=330303
>>
>>Only it was in XP, not 2K... Can't understand it.
>>

> I did a search on "STOP: c000021a" and most things seem to indicate that
> it's a driver problem. Run the Windows Updates without downloading any
> of the "drivers".

Fixed. I replaced the original version of Secur32.dll in safe mode and
it works fine now.... however, all of this is a moot point if running
windows update does not actually make my system any more secure... why
bother?

If it does make it more secure then that begs the question - What
particular exploits are there that can infect unpatched machines not
running IE, OE or Messenger behind a firewall blocking all incoming ports?