Re: Can my ISP see my NNTP traffic?

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 06/04/04

    Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:23:21 +0000 (UTC)

    Lassi =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hippel=E4inen?= <lahippel@ieee.orgies.invalid> writes:

    ]"T. Sean Weintz" wrote:
    ]>
    ]> Bill Unruh wrote:
    ]>
    ]> > ]> > >
    ]> > ]> > > You'll see that it's not only your ISP that can see your Usenet
    ]> > ]traffic!
    ]> > ]> > >
    ]> > ]> > > I posted a message complaining about a crap boss I had and it turned
    ]> > ]up
    ]> > ]> > the
    ]> > ]> > > head of the list in Google if you did a search on his name.
    ]> >
    ]> > A usenet post is SUPPOSED to be readable by everyone in the world. That is
    ]> > what usenet is all about. And Yes, google does also search over usenet.
    ]> >
    ]>
    ]> Yup. Google groups is great. I love seeing my name all over it.

    ]Used to be called Dejanews, before Google acquired it.

    Still called dejanews.
    www.dejanews.com still gets there.

    ]> Yeah.
    ]> all the way back to '96. 8 years of garbage it's collected on me.
    ]> Flame wars and all.

    ]It is quite regular to check the newsgroups before recruiting people. A
    ]good way of finding out what kind of candidates you have.

    ]-- Lassi

    • Re: OT - Cannot Search Old Posts Using Google As Newsgroup Reader
      ... are very recent posts. ... for USENET, making it virtually useless. ... that have Google Adwords on them. ... DejaNews and they just want to make some money. ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: Magdalenian experiment (continuation)
      ... ideas in the Usenet. ... Vinci's Mona Lisa painting as an allegory of seeing - ... and then also Google, as I recall. ... Best Replied ANJELINA JOLIE - KATE WINSLET BLUE FILM VIDEOS Hide ...
      (sci.lang)
    • Re: RAID 1
      ... >> repeated context that also clutters the archives, ... I suppose I should have given up on usenet ... he didn't have google to help sift through the cruft and probably ... It shows parts of your 100 most recent posts with links to the full text ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Pleas for help from clueless students?
      ... Some people seem to have real problems finding anything on google for ... However a lot of questions patently are homework. ... might never have heard of usenet can now offer their opinions and ... I haven't got as far as using outlook for news yet. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Troll Activity Going Through The Roof!!! Amazing!!!
      ... Google has permitted large numbers of individuals to access usenet who ... this thread is a person who, if you run a search on all his posts in this ... posting volume through the eyes of the Google interface, ...
      (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)