Re: Looking for quantifiable data on the effects of disasters on business (mostly financial services) for 2003/2004

noname_at_nomailforspamers.com
Date: 05/10/04

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:43:26 GMT

Hey Novice,

Forget this loser!

The point of the usenet groups is to help each other. Unfortunately
there are those that in order to feel important, they need to belittle
others.

Trust me, this person is messed up in the head!

Yes, typing the key words, "disaster recovery" in google will yield a
plethora of results. Also techrepublic.com has some excellent books
(which I own); in fact, you'll see many references to techrepublic.

Type in google, "disaster recovery" cost analysis will also yield some
good results.

The information is there for you.

Here are some interesting pieces I've found:
http://www1.worldbank.org/finance/assets/images/Information_technology_risks.pdf
www.londonprepared.gov.uk/business/ lcc_disaster_recovery.pdf
http://www.ndr.co.uk/statistics.htm
http://digitalhome.securespeed.cc/rbs_statistics.htm

If you have any further questions, I'll help you the best I can. BTW,
part of my job as an IT director involved creating a comprehensive DR
plan and cost analysis.

Best of luck,
SDC of Ottawa

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:55:53 GMT, Ford Prefect
<restaurant@end.universe> wrote:

>Novice wrote:
>> I'm doing some research on the cost of things like:
>> - viruses
>> - unavailability
>> - black outs,
>> - identity theft
>>
>> and the subsequent lost revenue - whether it be from:
>> - regulatory costs associated with loss of productivity
>> - lost business
>> - etc
>>
>> So very quantifiable data from 2002 and 2003 (if I'm lucky some data
>> from 2004).
>
>Learn to use a search engine... all the information is out there if
>you stop and think for a nanosecond...
>
>> Basically this will all amount to a justification of Disaster Recovery
>> Plans.
>
>That's not how you justify a disaster recovery plan. A DR plan is an
>immediate response to a situation only. Learn something about risk
>assessment and risk analysis before you venture into this field...
>
>> I would appreciate any references people could give me to quantifiable
>> data of this sort - my budget is pretty limited - no surprise - but
>> feel free to offer suggestions.
>
>Like I said, learn how to do an internet search... its all out there
>if you stop and think about what keywords to use...
>
>>> I've managed to find a reference to the Disaster Recovery Journal and
>> am trying to get a copy of it in Toronto, Ontario, Canada - does
>> anyone know how I could get a copy relatively soon - for example is it
>> likely that the University of Toronto will have a copy?
>
>Gee, da ya think that a library might have it? If you need to ask on
>a newsgroup if the U of T library might have something, then you
>probably won't be let into the place to begin with... (and before any
>of you decide to jump down my throat for that comment, access to the U
>of T libraries are usually restricted to students, faculty and
>alumni... the general public is not usually permitted access).
>
>...ever think of trying the pubic library?
>

>> Thanks,
>> Novice

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Looking for quantifiable data on the effects of disasters on business (mostly financial services
    ... search engine to learn about DR, etc., they are not the of person I ... Guees who the loser ... >>That's not how you justify a disaster recovery plan. ... >>of T libraries are usually restricted to students, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] Multimedia on Plan 9
    ... While madplay does a good job of playing MP3s, ... There are large number of other A/V formats out there, ... How difficult would it be to develop a native Plan ... Note that most A/V libraries out there make ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • [9fans] C++ support [was: TeX: hurrah!]
    ... expect the projects to use the rewrite in favor of the original ... nor are my contributions necessarily asking ... I remember seeing someone interested in porting LLVM to Plan 9. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Justifying a VPN
    ... As part of the CEO-jerks-off-business proposal of disaster recovery. ... software and support issues at home. ... worker pool. ... They've been working on a DR plan since 1998. ...
    (comp.dcom.vpn)
  • [9fans] Multimedia on Plan 9
    ... There are large number of other A/V formats out there, ... the SDL/madplay/mpeg_play ports are all based on APE (for obvious ... How difficult would it be to develop a native Plan ... Note that most A/V libraries out there make ...
    (comp.os.plan9)