Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?

From: Thor Kottelin (thor_at_anta.net)
Date: 05/04/04

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 22:32:46 +0300

"Lars M. Hansen" wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 2004 18:07:15 +0000 (UTC), phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
> spoketh
>
> >In comp.security.misc Bill Unruh <unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> >> Why is port 445 open on his system in the first place?
> >
> >Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default.
>
> "Vulnerable by default"? What the F*** does that mean?

A default environment is one which is in effect if no substitute is
explicitly selected. Vulnerability means the presence of a weakness which is
exposed to attack. I'm leaving it to you to combine these definitions.

F***s set.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/		IRCnet #areena

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >>Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... A default environment is one which is in effect if no substitute is ... Vulnerability means the presence of a weakness which is ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >>Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... A default environment is one which is in effect if no substitute is ... Vulnerability means the presence of a weakness which is ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: Vulnerability scanner/appliance
    ... I can suggest Qualys a good vulnerability product ... Moreover PCI standards focus is on encryption, ... properly securing their environment to do so...but ... When I say there are scanners that will pass the PCI ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Re: Take the trash-talker challenge!
    ... Vulnerability: if the passphrase is provided in an environment ... local users may steal the passphrases of other xxt users, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: Vulnebrability level definition
    ... The question isn't the severity of the compromise, ... The vulnerability of a product must be put into a perspective of your ... you may have 1:1 mapping of the advisory rating and importance to you. ... If you are mixed environment and using many different products then ...
    (Security-Basics)