Re: CafeAgent problems in internet cafe - help and opinion please

From: Jack (uni_prof2003_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/01/04

    Date: 1 May 2004 11:50:40 -0700

    Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<4nc790dv2dc23eo61oi0c5u8jl0l3n25sh@4ax.com>...
    > On 1 May 2004 05:23:02 -0700, Jack spoketh
    >

    > >Please test that software a nd tell me what's wrong and what can be
    > >done to raise security level.
    > >
    > >Disabling windows 98 function keys, CafeAgents ingerates into
    > >Windows98
    > >operation system without my consent.
    > >
    > >And finally.
    > >How to get rid of an operator using my computer while I read and write
    > >my mail.
    > >
    > >The caption:
    > >"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
    > >is stil open
    > >

    > >I would appreciate opinion from security experts , internet cafe
    > >operators and
    > >others.
    > >
    > >Author of CafeAgent says it is ok.
    > >But in my opinion it is not ok, to have an operator using my computer
    > >at the same time I read or write my mail.
    > >

    > >Jack
    >
    > Obviously, you have many objections to the software used at this
    > internet cafe (and rightfully so). Since it is unlikely that the cafe
    > owner are going to change, I suggest changing cafe...
    >

    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

    Thanks Lars,

    you are right.
    But in the meantime I have contacted author of the software and he
    couldn't understand security issues behing his product.
    Basic problem is, Cafeagent issues no warning message 5-10 min ahead
    of expiration of prepaid user time.
    So applications opened by a user (mail and the like) go hidden upon
    expiration of prepaid user time.

    I don't have any objection to that software, but don't like messages
    like:
    >"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
    being open all the time I read my mail.

    Frankly speaking I don't see any reason why a third software should
    take a control of windows 98 OS on client's computer .

    thanks anyway,
    Jack