Re: Cracking decrypted file when knowing partial contents

From: David Eather (eather_at_tpg.com.au)
Date: 04/23/04

    Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:28:29 +1000

    Isn't the problem that applications such as MS Word have large predefined
    headers? In this case the attacker always knows some of the "text". Access
    Data (and others) use the headers etc to crack many products. Their web
    site has info on what is possible.

    "Joe Peschel" <jpeschel@no.spam.org> wrote in message
    > "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net> wrote in news:f9ednZRBK6-JdBjdRVn-
    > jw@comcast.com:
    >
    > > Adfa wrote:
    > >> Would it be easier to crack an encrypted file if the
    > >> cracker knew some of the contents of the file?
    > >
    > > Well, he could certainly crack *some* of the file.
    > > (I couldn't resist!)
    > >

    > Someone had to say it.

    > --
    > When will Bush come to his senses?
    > Joe Peschel
    > D.O.E. SysWorks
    > http://members.aol.com/jpeschel/index.htm

    • Re: Nettle and UTF-8 support
      ... applications - WP, E-mail, News... ... look after, not individual applications. ... such a menu superfluous, but as things stand, for Latin 2 ... e-mail I need to edit the raw e-mail headers from ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
    • Re: Cracking decrypted file when knowing partial contents
      ... Isn't the problem that applications such as MS Word have large predefined ... In this case the attacker always knows some of the "text". ... Data use the headers etc to crack many products. ... > D.O.E. SysWorks ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • how do I change the language of the headers?
      ... I installed a version of Microsoft Office Spanish version and now I would ... like to change the headers in the applications to English. ...
      (microsoft.public.office.misc)
    • Re: Newbie Question: dictionary organization?
      ... dw name (aligned word name string) ... headers and bodies are separated. ... around, and/or using a different organization, for faster searching for example. ... CHForth, 16 bit DOS applications ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Re: Cracking decrypted file when knowing partial contents
      ... "David Eather" writes: ... ]Isn't the problem that applications such as MS Word have large predefined ... In this case the attacker always knows some of the "text". ... ]Data use the headers etc to crack many products. ...
      (comp.security.misc)