Re: incoming mail without information in the from, to, subject fields

From: Frank Slootweg (this_at_ddress.is.invalid)
Date: 04/21/04

Date: 21 Apr 2004 14:40:52 GMT

Michael Hill <mhill37@netzero.net> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> This is my first post to this group; the initial post caught my eye. I
> too am receiving MUCH spam with nothing in the "From", "Subject", or
> "To:" fields.
>
> The technical back-and-forth is rather interesting; however, I am more
> concerned with blocking future such e-mails. Assuming I do not have
> access to my e-mail server, somebody please tell me how to configure
> Outlook and/or Outlook Express to automatically delete all such future
> e-mails.
>
> Also, assuming I DO have access to the e-mail server, how do I block
> such e-mails?
>
> (In either case, there is no "From" address to specify you want
> blocked. Can it be done by IP address?)
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
>

> Michael

  You may want to have a look at MailWasher (<http://www.mailwasher.net/>).
It can probably filter out the undesired mail by means of its public and
your private blacklists. If not, you can create extra Filters. Filters
can filter on things being (not) equal to some expression, so if you
make a rule like "From: not equal to <something>", then that essentially
means "From: empty". FWIW, I use Mailwasher and am quite pleased with it.
A note of caution: MailWasher can "bounce" back undesired mail. Do *not*
use that facility, because most likely the bounced message will not be
sent the the original sender, but to an innocent bystander. I.e. do not
(try) to 'solve' your spam problem by sending it to someone else.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: incoming mail without information in the from, to, subject fields
    ... Michael Hill wrote: ... > This is my first post to this group; the initial post caught my eye. ... > concerned with blocking future such e-mails. ... can filter on things being equal to some expression, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Email Filtering
    ... >>1st filter. ... > That rule is NOT available in Outlook Express. ... > Boy, that will delete a LOT of e-mails, most of which do NOT have a URL. ... Whitelisting rules should go at the top ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Incoming NON-Junk Mail routed to Junk Folder. Please assist.
    ... We are a very small business... ... I checked the junk folder and it appears that a ton of e-mails ... Some e-mails from previously known contacts were routed to junk mail. ... The junk filter in Outlook ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Phantom Unread Messages
    ... Click the Filter button and see if you have a filter applied. ... > rules that forward certain e-mails to certain folders. ... > an unread message. ... I go back into the folder and don't see any. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Phantom Unread Messages
    ... Click the Filter button and see if you have a filter applied. ... > rules that forward certain e-mails to certain folders. ... > an unread message. ... I go back into the folder and don't see any. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)