Re: Putting confidential data on web

From: Samjack (device_at_null.com)
Date: 04/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 06:54:45 -0600

Don't put it on there unless you use something more concrete like PGP
encrypting the file with a nice long passphrase.

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> I want to put my master password file (which is a Word document)
> onto my website.
>
> The idea is that I can pull this document down from any PC and then
> use the data.
>
> Of course I need this to be as secure as practicably possible.
>
> What is the best way of password protecting the files?
>
> I heard that the passwords used in some forms of Zip compression
> (eg. Winzip) can be extremely hard to crack if mixed case and
> special characters are used. Perhaps I could create a "password"
> using the opening sentence from a favorite novel or something like
> that?
>
> Thank you for any advice.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Putting confidential data on web
    ... Don't put it on there unless you use something more concrete like PGP ... encrypting the file with a nice long passphrase. ... > I want to put my master password file (which is a Word document) ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Encrypting Word file in Office 2007 Home and Student Edition
    ... I have followed the posts here on encrypting my Word document but it never ... password protects it. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Encryption in Office 2007 Student Edition
    ... I have followed the posts here on encrypting my Word document but it never ... password protects it. ... Is this something in the Student Edition that is not ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • WORD - Passworded and Encrypted - get errors??
    ... I have never passworded a Word document and encrypted it. ... Does encrypting a document and then reopening them occasionally have errors??? ... I know errors happen as I have tested out encrypting files before. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)