Outpost and Zone Alarm warning

From: George Jones (dfhdfh_at_sdfhdsfhd.dfhdf)
Date: 03/28/04

Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:04:06 +0100

I've used both Outpost and Zone Alarm and found both to have serious flaws.
Zone Alarm runs well for a while then breaks down, blocking all attempts to
start the system unless it's disabled on start-up. Then when it's
uninstalled, it fails to uninstall completely, leaving the system unable to
dial-up to the internet due to a stray key left behind that redirects the
system to use ZA's own connection dll (which just ain't present). Can't
remember the key name as I haven't run ZA for a while.

Outpost seems to run OK under Windows 9x. Under XP it runs for a couple of
weeks then breaks and stops connecting etc. When it's uninstalled, it leaves
a lot of keys in the registry and these mean that the system can hang for
typically 7 minutes up to 25 minutes on connection to the internet or to a
LAN. I found most of these keys as they contain the words 'agnitum' or
'outpost' and deleted them. The system still hangs for a few minutes but a
lot less time now.

Agnitum refused to tell me what the rest of their registry keys are - even
though I told
them their software is responsible for damaging a computer used for
commerical purposes. I am therefore justified in warning people: Never use
Zone Alarm or
Outpost. Outpost is made by a company much more irresponsible than Zone
Alarm and that's no recommendation. Do not trust this software - ever. Never
use it!

--
Yours
George Jones

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Outpost and Zone Alarm warning
    ... I have used Zone Alarm Pro for several ... > with absolutely no troubles. ... >> Outpost seems to run OK under Windows 9x. ... >> a lot of keys in the registry and these mean that the system can hang ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Outpost and Zone Alarm warning
    ... >Zone Alarm runs well for a while then breaks down, ... >uninstalled, it fails to uninstall completely, leaving the system unable to ... >Outpost seems to run OK under Windows 9x. ... I found most of these keys as they contain the words 'agnitum' or ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Outpost and Zone Alarm warning
    ... >> I've used both Outpost and Zone Alarm and found both to have serious ... >> uninstalled, it fails to uninstall completely, leaving the system ... >> 'outpost' and deleted them. ... If it was correctly configured it wouldn't hang ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Outpost and Zone Alarm warning
    ... I've used both Outpost and Zone Alarm and found both to have serious flaws. ... system to use ZA's own connection dll. ... I found most of these keys as they contain the words 'agnitum' or ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Outpost and Zone Alarm warning
    ... I've used both Outpost and Zone Alarm and found both to have serious flaws. ... system to use ZA's own connection dll. ... I found most of these keys as they contain the words 'agnitum' or ...
    (alt.computer.security)