Re: Passwords file cracking

From: Ajay Sabnis (bagatrix_bruv_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 03/16/04

    Date: 16 Mar 2004 05:04:51 -0800

    Well thank you mr high and mighty. This is one task i need to address
    for my dissertation. This is not a concern of your. if you do not have
    anything constructive to say, keep your mouth shut. thanks.

    Ford Prefect <restaurant@end.universe> wrote in message news:<4056A7A2.3020303@end.universe>...
    > Ajay Sabnis wrote:
    > > I am creating a passowrd generator app that will create a number of
    > > random passwords and store them in some basic encrypted format in a
    > > plain txt file. I have 2 question i need urgent help on (dissertation
    > > deadline approaching!!):
    > >
    > > 1. Does anyone know of any password cracking software that i can feed
    > > a plain txt password file into and it will give results? Any
    > > suggestions how this would be done?
    >
    > Have you bothered to read any of the threads on these newsgroups...
    > ....there have been alll sorts of discussions on this...
    >
    > And try learning how to use a search engine....
    >
    > > 2. The generator will must encrypt passwords in the same manner the
    > > cracker will encrypt its guesses(dictionary attacking). any comments
    > > on what this may be?
    >
    > Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the exercise, doesn't it?
    >
    > > Please note, the purpose of this is an empirical testing on passwords.
    > > The platform passwords security issues are not important. However, i'm
    > > running windows.
    >
    > Given the cconditions you are requesting, what exactly is your
    > "emprircal testing" supposed to accomplish? This doesn't look like
    > anythinga "dissertation" would address...

    • Re: Your first pets name must be greater than 6 characters
      ... The whole exercise is futile as security as these long passwords with numbers letters upper case lower etc means that people write them down which defeats the purpose. ...
      (rec.crafts.metalworking)
    • Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application
      ... | I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo. ... | palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose. ... | I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose. ... I use Strip myself, but haven't really looked at the alternatives. ...
      (comp.sys.palmtops.pilot)
    • Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application
      ... | I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo. ... | palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose. ... | I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose. ... I use Strip myself, but haven't really looked at the alternatives. ...
      (comp.sys.palmtops.pilot)
    • Re: How much cyber security is really there?
      ... purpose. ... Write the answers down and keep them in your safe. ... If you also keep the passwords there, ... name with your bank and your Facebook account, ...
      (sci.crypt)