IP Spoofing questions

From: David Schlecht (dschl_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 03/07/04

    Date: 7 Mar 2004 07:59:57 -0800

    Hi All,

    Is IP Spoofing still a risk if our server has good TCP sequence number
    randomization?

    We get numerous CGI attacks that I'm interested in reporting but don't
    know how much I can rely on our server logs source IP field.

    The same question goes for spam headers. I know that downstream
    headers can be forged, but the last header added should be our
    server's. Can this last header get a spoofed IP if our mail server has
    good sequence number randomization?

    Any thoughts?

    -Dave

    • Re: Problem Updating New Messages from NTTP News Server OE
      ... > as far as I know and he doesn't have a server in his setup. ... download the answer to a problem he had posted in the Outlook group and I had seen the answer almost immediately on July 1. ... sure how taking the check out of the download headers boxes would have helped. ... pane 3) Get headers at a time 4) No check in mark all messages as read when exiting newsgroup ...
    • Re: Problem Updating New Messages from NTTP News Server OE
      ... What's the precise difference between Tools>Syncronize Newsgroup Get a) all messages b) new messages c) headers only ... first check to see if the server now has it by ... > download the answer to a problem he had posted in the Outlook group and I had seen the answer almost immediately on July 1. ...
    • Re: Problem Updating New Messages from NTTP News Server OE
      ... the discussion based on its headers. ... So I would be less inclined to blame the server and more inclined to blame ... feature anywhere within a newsgroup and synchronize that newsgroup with ... either the Synchronize Newsgroup or the Synchronize Account command. ...
    • Re: IP number question
      ... |> I can present a posting whose headers *claim* whatever IP address ... machine is running a news server and that you have completely formatted ... articles ready to pass along -- articles which might have originated ... There is nothing that would -prevent- nntp servers from adding trace ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Help please. Outlook express or comcast is creating misleading mail headers
      ... and go down to the "Outgoing Mail Server" section. ... > headers, but the smtp mail host that comcast uses now includes that in all ... MTA, and the aosake.net MX. ... that the filters are working for. ...