Re: OS Partitioning and security

From: Casper H.S. Dik (Casper.Dik_at_Sun.COM)
Date: 02/29/04

Date: 29 Feb 2004 12:07:12 GMT

"Tsvi Gad" <tsiky@mail.com> writes:

>I am looking for information about the following issue:
>A client I work for is going to use a single hardware for the Development
>and Production servers by using the machine ability of OS Partitioning. It
>means that every OS has its own hardware exept the bus that is common.
>The problem is that for security reasons there is a need to seperate the two
>servers and it also has different sets of data.
>I am sure every vendor will confirm that kind of architecture as safe but my
>guts says otherwise.

It depends very much on the type of hardware; e.g., on a Sun starfire,
(E10K) the bus is not visible because the crossbars between domains
are simply not used when the domains are separated (the buses which are
used inside the domains are physically seperated from the others)
This is also true for the newer systems; the system controller, a separate
system, has control over the configuration of the buses but the
domains themselves do not.

In the end it all depends on the specific hardware you use.

Casper

--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: HELP! Sun mouse wont work on Ultra 2!
    ... hardware failure or if it is a misconfiguration. ... with the sun hardware, so it could simply be a stupid me issue. ... metal mousepad that came with it? ... Expressed in this posting are my opinions. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Hardware vendor
    ... Been dealing iwth them a couple of years now for production servers, ... On Thu, 6 May 2010, Lonnie CasaDeCalvo wrote: ... Can you make a recomondation to a hardware supplier that will preinstall ... FreeBSD on there server hardware? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: OS Partitioning and security
    ... > A client I work for is going to use a single hardware for the Development ... > and Production servers by using the machine ability of OS Partitioning. ... gut opinion. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Question About Opteron
    ... >> Sun will be releasing a lot of interesting Opteron based hardware ... Expressed in this posting are my opinions. ... to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Dying Disks on Mirrored Win 2003
    ... Everytime I open my mouth about mirroring, people always pitch Hardware ... RAID only on production servers - it is much more reliable, ... Hardware RAID has it's own share of problems. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)