Re: w32/MyDoomA

From: Barry Margolin (barmar_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 01/30/04

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:45:12 GMT

In article <bvcmu5$qcl$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
 roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

> In article <sRkSb.108$6W6.137952@news.uswest.net>,
> Linda <linda0203@nospam.net> wrote:
> :I have received 2 messages in the last 2 days saying that I sent a virus
> :infected email-one identified it as w32/MyDoomA
>
> I've received many more than that, and I don't even use Windows.
>
> If the email messages you received include the message headers,
> have a careful look at the IP address of the system that sent the
> message that is apparently from you. You will probably find that the
> IP address is no-where near yours. The worm is copying or generating
> email addresses from somewhere.

Many worms released in the past couple of years work that way. When
they're propagating, they grab addresses from the user's address book
and use them in forged sender information, so that the bounces go back
to someone else.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

  • Re: weird goings-on in xp
    ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ... | blue link beneath it saying '133 unread email messages'. ... my sister's user account is the ... and not only that but it's showing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Mail - Rules?
    ... Does Windows ... Mail have an option to set up rules to move email messages for you or not? ... like AOL software. ... automatically cleans out my InBox, but Windows Mail just leaves them ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • messages from ISPs
    ... I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 98. ... email messages from ISPs saying that they couldn't deliver ... my message because it contained a virus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Oops, posted originally in wrong group: OE 6 wont print e-mails
    ... The "can even print newsgroup messages. ... Just not email messages." ... Ron Sommer ... >>> That's Windows XP Home, ...
  • Re: Links in OE messages
    ... > links within email messages I receive. ... Open Windows Explorer. ... Click Edit or Advanced, ... Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE. ...