Re: Paying developers to get features faster

From: Ben Measures (saint_abroadremove_at_removehotmail.com)
Date: 01/23/04

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:11:32 +0000

Barry Margolin wrote:
> For instance, some compilers warn about code like:
>
> if (<var> = <expression>) ...
>
> on the assumption that this is a common typo for:
>
> if (<var> == <expression>) ...
>
> Wrapping the assignment in an extra set of parentheses will shut the
> compiler up, with absolutely no effect on the generated code.

I might be thinking silly here but why not write

<var> = <expression>;
if (<var>) ....

It clears up the (reasoning behind the) code, something far more
important than a (virtually non-existant) speed increase? Better the
algorithm instead...

--
Ben M.
----------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Protection/Time Limiting my software
    ... If you are to implement a copy-protection scheme, ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
    ... some compilers warn about code like: ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
    ... some compilers warn about code like: ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Paying developers to get features faster
    ... some compilers warn about code like: ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Cheap PC firewalls
    ... If you want a proper standalone firewall protecting your network then ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)