Re: Is memcpy secure?

From: Christian Bau (christian.bau_at_cbau.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: 01/11/04

    Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:29:34 +0000

    In article <50ab56cb.0401101820.40659138@posting.google.com>,
     sayenko@yahoo.com (Olga Sayenko) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to make sure that my data doesn't show up anywhere outside
    > my process unencrypted. I am concerned that if I use memcpy, the bytes
    > copied will end up in some memory somewhere after I am done with it.
    > Am I being paranoid?

    Yes, but are you paranoid enough?

    Seriously, memcpy will not be a special case. It won't do anything that
    straightforward C code couldn't do. I would be more worried about the
    data that was in a memory block that gets free()d.

    • Re: Is memcpy secure?
      ... > sayenko@yahoo.com (Olga Sayenko) wrote: ... but are you paranoid enough? ... memcpy will not be a special case. ... > data that was in a memory block that gets freed. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Is memcpy secure?
      ... > sayenko@yahoo.com (Olga Sayenko) wrote: ... but are you paranoid enough? ... memcpy will not be a special case. ... > data that was in a memory block that gets freed. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Is memcpy secure?
      ... sayenko@yahoo.com (Olga Sayenko) wrote: ... but are you paranoid enough? ... memcpy will not be a special case. ... data that was in a memory block that gets freed. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Is memcpy secure?
      ... > (Olga Sayenko) wrote: ... but are you paranoid enough? ... memcpy will not be a special case. ... Or indeed in any memory block, ...