Re: REVIEW: "Understanding PKI", Carlisle Adams/Steve Lloyd

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 01/09/04

    Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:28:11 GMT

    Just bought it a Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago. $50.00 US - It ain't cheap.

    Thumbs Up.

    Dave

    "Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor" <rslade@sprint.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
    | %T "Understanding PKI"
    |
    | Part one is about concepts. Chapter one (and the first chapter of
    | every section) is an outline of the contents of this part of the book.
    | A simple introduction to symmetric cryptography, and the basics of
    | asymmetric, is provided in chapter two. The purpose and components of
    | a public key infrastructure (PKI) is reviewed in chapter three.
    | Chapter four relates core PKI to the standard security model of
    | confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Some extension of the
    | basic services is given in chapter five (although there is no mention
    | of the most common hybrid form of encryption). Certificates and some
    | fundamentals of certification are in chapter six. Chapter seven looks
    | at key and certificate management. Certificate revocation, in chapter
    | eight, is oddly undetailed in comparison to the previous material.
    | Chapters nine to thirteen cover, in short order, trust models,
    | certificate and information dissemination, operational factors, and
    | digital signature legislation. What PKI does, and doesn't, do is
    | presented in chapter fourteen, which probably should have come earlier
    | in the book. Chapter fifteen speculates on the future of PKI.
    | Chapter sixteen, and the last chapter of every part, outlines
    | conclusions and further reading. The material is very terse: in this
    | case, only two pages.
    |
    | Part two is entitled standards. There is the introduction, and then
    | chapter eighteen lists major standards. The status of some of those
    | standards is discussed in chapter nineteen. Chapter twenty provides
    | examples of the piloting of standards, and points out that the
    | standards do not always confer interoperability. The reading list in
    | chapter twenty one is a bit bigger than that in sixteen.
    |
    | Part three concerns deployment. There is a generic cost/benefit
    | argument in chapter twenty three. Chapters twenty four and twenty
    | five basically reiterate earlier material in regard to deployment.
    | Some specific issues are mentioned in regard to the business models
    | discussed in chapter twenty six. There are almost no conclusions and
    | suggestions for further reading in chapter twenty seven.
    |
    | This book does cover many issues associated with PKI, but in a very
    | pedestrian fashion. There is nothing here that is not covered by many
    | volumes dealing with cryptography as a general topic, such as
    | Schneier's "Applied Cryptography" (cf. BKAPCRYP.RVW) or the simpler
    | works like Mel and Baker's "Cryptography Decrypted" (cf.BKCRPDEC.RVW).
    | Indeed, any number of general security texts provide as much detail on
    | PKI as does this book.
    |
    | copyright Robert M. Slade, 2003 BKUNDPKI.RVW 20031107
    |
    | --
    | ======================
    | rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@sun.soci.niu.edu
    | "If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on." - Richards' 2nd Law

    • Re: REVIEW: "Understanding PKI", Carlisle Adams/Steve Lloyd
      ... | a public key infrastructure (PKI) is reviewed in chapter three. ... Certificate revocation, in chapter ... | chapter eighteen lists major standards. ... any number of general security texts provide as much detail on ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • REVIEW: "Understanding PKI", Carlisle Adams/Steve Lloyd
      ... a public key infrastructure (PKI) is reviewed in chapter three. ... at key and certificate management. ... Part two is entitled standards. ... any number of general security texts provide as much detail on ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • REVIEW: "Understanding PKI", Carlisle Adams/Steve Lloyd
      ... a public key infrastructure (PKI) is reviewed in chapter three. ... at key and certificate management. ... Part two is entitled standards. ... any number of general security texts provide as much detail on ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Secure web site access and PKI Certs
      ... If the PKI certificate is installed on the local ... additional security for Single Sign On to PKI enabled ... > me can access the web site as me. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Proposal for a new PKI model (At least I hope its new)
      ... > Then the world would have no problem trusting your domain level PKI ... coined the term "certificate manufacturing" to distinquish from actual ... it turns out that one of the reasons for the SSL server domain name ...
      (sci.crypt)