Re: Newbie question test (evaluation) certificate

From: Ian (e2chameleon_at_btopenworld.com)
Date: 12/27/03

    Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:55:37 +0000 (UTC)

    I know that Verisign and Thawte provide free test SSL certificates but I'm
    not aware of any test code signing certificates available from them or
    Entrust. Do you
    have an Account Manager at Verisign (that is going to be available before
    the end of the year?). Is anyone available at Entrust for you to talk to?
    I'm not sure if you are using any Entrust infrastructure at present that
    would affect the following suggestions or if you mentioned them for their
    code signing Security Toolkit.

    You can use a free Thawte Freemail certificate to sign code, there is a
    special Developer section process. Some information on this is available at
    http://www.dallaway.com/acad/webstart/.

    A quick Google search for code signing found some information at Suitable
    Systems regarding creating your own test certificates. The page is at
    http://www.suitable.com/docs/signingcerts.html. This is part of a wider
    section regarding certificates which begins at
    http://www.suitable.com/docs/signing.html. There is a warning about support
    for certs under Internet Explorer.

    I hope this helps.

    Ian Kelly,
    e2chameleon Information Security Resource.

    http://www.e2chameleon.btinternet.co.uk

    -
    "Jure" <jure.lampe@adapta.si> wrote in message
    > I need a test certificate 509 ver 3 for evaluation purposes. We must
    > finish a pilot project till 31.of Dec which uses Java GSM and MIDP2.
    > Some advanced functions require signed MIDLET J2ME application. I know
    > that I shoud go to CA in order a certificate and I will, but it takes
    > me 14 days to finish with procedure.
    >
    > Is there a possibility to get Verisign's, Entrust... test certificate
    > online?

    • Re: Code Signing Certificates
      ... If you run across an executable that is allegedly Certified for Windows, ... but all things considered code signing doesn't make things generally worse. ... While it might on occasion make you trust software you wouldn't otherwise trust (I am thinking of the fake code signing certificates issued in the name of Microsoft a few years ago), it also makes it easier to track down such software and contain the problem once it occurs. ... If you are a potential target of isolated and customized attacks by a dedicated adversary and you have a security level that requires that absolutely nothing bad happens at no time, then, no, code signing won't help. ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: Code Signing Certificates
      ... While it might on occasion make you trust software you wouldn't otherwise trust (I am thinking of the fake code signing certificates issued in the name of Microsoft a few years ago), it also makes it easier to track down such software and contain the problem once it occurs. ... If you are a potential target of isolated and customized attacks by a dedicated adversary and you have a security level that requires that absolutely nothing bad happens at no time, then, no, code signing won't help. ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: Windows CE :security flaw
      ... rust model is more tan code signing. ... trust they choose to put onto which certificates. ... running at all and others for more privileged access, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
    • Re: Still cannot install 831464 hot fix..
      ... >I checked for the certificates and they were all there. ... >> Secure Email, Code Signing ... >> able to verify websites using the HTTPS protocol (missing verisign, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)