Re: Newbie question test (evaluation) certificate

From: Ian (e2chameleon_at_btopenworld.com)
Date: 12/27/03

    Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:55:37 +0000 (UTC)

    I know that Verisign and Thawte provide free test SSL certificates but I'm
    not aware of any test code signing certificates available from them or
    Entrust. Do you
    have an Account Manager at Verisign (that is going to be available before
    the end of the year?). Is anyone available at Entrust for you to talk to?
    I'm not sure if you are using any Entrust infrastructure at present that
    would affect the following suggestions or if you mentioned them for their
    code signing Security Toolkit.

    You can use a free Thawte Freemail certificate to sign code, there is a
    special Developer section process. Some information on this is available at
    http://www.dallaway.com/acad/webstart/.

    A quick Google search for code signing found some information at Suitable
    Systems regarding creating your own test certificates. The page is at
    http://www.suitable.com/docs/signingcerts.html. This is part of a wider
    section regarding certificates which begins at
    http://www.suitable.com/docs/signing.html. There is a warning about support
    for certs under Internet Explorer.

    I hope this helps.

    Ian Kelly,
    e2chameleon Information Security Resource.

    http://www.e2chameleon.btinternet.co.uk

    -