Re: ISPs can easily decrease net abuse

From: Barry Margolin (barmar_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 12/06/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:02:19 GMT

In article <bqh37g$6nd$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
 roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

> In article <MPG.1a3584e54aa22f3e989eab@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
> :And the intent, if you had followed the start, what the NAT with no
> :forwarding would be used. Why would I post about how it could protect if
> :the intent was to forward all ports?
>
> We aren't mind-readers, Leythos, to know about your *intent*.
> The words you actually -wrote- had no indication in them that
> you understood about issues such as port forwarding or persistant

You don't need to be a mind-reader, just read his words in *context*.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISPs can easily decrease net abuse
    ... :And the intent, if you had followed the start, what the NAT with no ... you understood about issues such as port forwarding or persistant ... if ISP's required users to install a router with NAT it would ... of 'NAT' that talks about duration of translations or restricting ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: ISPs can easily decrease net abuse
    ... >:And the intent, if you had followed the start, what the NAT with no ... > you understood about issues such as port forwarding or persistant ... Why would I post in this thread about using NAT if I wanted someone to ... > of 'NAT' that talks about duration of translations or restricting ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Router log and FreeNAS box access attempts
    ... Is it safe to leave the NAS without any port forwarding, ... Here is a partial list showing many routers that were shipped with flawed firmware that needed to be updated or the router replaced since the router manufacturer refuses to issue an upgraded firmware. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Whiteboard and application sharing do not work
    ... I am using MSN Messenger V6.2 ... (Windows Messenger is also installed) ... Port Forwarding: ... ports under Port Forwarding. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)
  • Re: port forwarding
    ... involves changing the port forwarding from the client to the server ... simple with a systemd-unit which also survives a reboot of the target machine ... will fail in that case and the SSH command is executed 60 seconds later ...
    (Fedora)