Re: ISPs can easily decrease net abuse

From: Melinda Shore (shore_at_panix.com)
Date: 12/03/03

    Date: 3 Dec 2003 15:21:58 -0500

    In article <bqlfbv$7do$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
    Walter Roberson <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
    >the more secure forms of NAT.

    The world would be a somewhat better place if the phrase
    "more secure forms of NAT" were never to appear again.

    >For the technical reasons I went into before, it might slow down
    >viruses/worms, but not by nearly as much as one might hope.

    People who use NATs to protect themselves against viruses
    and worms deserve what they get. If you want a firewall,
    run a firewall.

    --
         Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com
                Bad taste is better than no taste -- Arnold Bennett

    • Re: NAT Secure?
      ... >>> NAT secure from internet attack? ... It may 'compliment' a firewall (packet filter, ... Port redirection/port mapping, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: quick basic net design info with Cisco equipment
      ... Symantec has suggested I deploy something at the firewall level but I ... Well you can obtain more IP address from your carrier, once you do that you can then assign one of the extra IP's for the NAT address that will be visible on the internet. ... Also the IPCOP solution is a software based firewall, which means you have to produce the hardware it runs on, which could also fail. ... Also whatever OS you load IPCOP on will be directly exposed to the internet, so your OS better be secure. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Notifying user of open Internet access
      ... >> Because the dumb ones out number us significantly, ... installed are already capable of NAT, ... I have 4 of them running behind a firewall and use private ... Linux are not secure out of the box, BSD is as close to secure as it ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: NAT Secure?
      ... >>> NAT secure from internet attack? ... It may 'compliment' a firewall (packet ... Now, depending on that web server, it could be ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: NAT Secure?
      ... >> NAT secure from internet attack? ... NAT itself is not a firewall. ... if you're running say a web server on port 80 and someone ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)