Re: And another one just for fun!

From: Lohkee (Lohkee_at_worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08/26/03

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:26:28 GMT

"Chris Croughton" <chris@keristor.org> wrote in message
news:slrnbkm912.ua.chris@ccserver.keris.net...
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:43:05 GMT, Lohkee
> <Lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

> >"donut" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> >> "Lohkee" <Lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

> >> How is a properly configured firewall incapable of stopping a well
written
> >> virus? How does it get inside to begin with? There are always people
> >> claiming this, but I have yet to see it demonstrated.
> >
> >Ever heard of a floppy diskette, CD ROM, Thumb Drive, or a keyboard? Ever
> >heard of email attachments?
>
> All of which require the user to import them. If the user deliberately
> bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things (duh!).

Exactly my point.

> >How about embedding code in the comments section
> >of a web-page?
>
> Huh? How would that do anything at all? Comments are ignored, or
> should be by any browser written by sopmeone competant.

Who said anything about the browser? We are talking about methods to
circumvent a firewall.

> >For that matter, consider any of the "major" viruses over the
> >past five years.
>
> Yes, all due to the users not having a firewall and/or opening things
> without bothering to check (see my comment about babies sticking things
> in their mouths).

Better do some research on hostile code before you make such statements
(although I do agree with your comment about babies).

> >> Why? If the firewall keeps it out, the only way it can get in is if the
> >> user allows it in somehow.
> >
> >History has shown that users are very good at doing just that, or do you
not
> >follow (as you suggested earlier) what is going on in the world (Melissa,
> >Love Bug, etc, etc, etc).
>
> Think of it as evolution in action. I have no sympathy with people who
> continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still
> open unknown attachments despite all the warnings. I only have sympathy
> for their victims, the ones who then get flooded with the amails etc.

Agreed!

> To misquote lady Bracknell: "To be infected with one virus may be
> regarded as a misfortune; to be infected with two looks like
> carelessness."
>
> >My obligation to trolls (and idiots) has now been met.
>
> So you are now leaving? Please close the door on your way out.

Such a shame, and to think that you were actually starting to show some
semblence of rational thought.

Lohkee!

> Chris C

Relevant Pages

  • Re: And another one just for fun!
    ... >>heard of email attachments? ... > bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things. ... I have no sympathy with people who ... > continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: And another one just for fun!
    ... bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things. ... I have no sympathy with people who ... continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still ... "To be infected with one virus may be ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: And another one just for fun!
    ... bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things. ... I have no sympathy with people who ... continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still ... "To be infected with one virus may be ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: pc security behind a switch/router question
    ... > effective hardware firewall. ... - Email attachments, past Outlook problems. ... something exploited when connecting to a compromised site. ... patches and use sensible rules with your email clients and web browsers. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation. [SMTP Error Code 552]
    ... sending large email attachments to an external domain. ... He is not exceeding outgoing SMTP size limits. ... Do the logs on the firewall offer anything of value? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)