Re: And another one just for fun!

From: Chris Croughton (chris_at_keristor.org)
Date: 08/26/03

Date: 26 Aug 2003 09:10:58 GMT

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:43:05 GMT, Lohkee
   <Lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"donut" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> "Lohkee" <Lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote in

>> > Incapable of reliably stopping a well-written virus (not to mention
>> > those originating from the inside).
>>
>> How is a properly configured firewall incapable of stopping a well written
>> virus? How does it get inside to begin with? There are always people
>> claiming this, but I have yet to see it demonstrated.
>
>Ever heard of a floppy diskette, CD ROM, Thumb Drive, or a keyboard? Ever
>heard of email attachments?

All of which require the user to import them. If the user deliberately
bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things (duh!).

>How about embedding code in the comments section
>of a web-page?

Huh? How would that do anything at all? Comments are ignored, or
should be by any browser written by sopmeone competant.

>For that matter, consider any of the "major" viruses over the
>past five years.

Yes, all due to the users not having a firewall and/or opening things
without bothering to check (see my comment about babies sticking things
in their mouths).

>> Why? If the firewall keeps it out, the only way it can get in is if the
>> user allows it in somehow.
>
>History has shown that users are very good at doing just that, or do you not
>follow (as you suggested earlier) what is going on in the world (Melissa,
>Love Bug, etc, etc, etc).

Think of it as evolution in action. I have no sympathy with people who
continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still
open unknown attachments despite all the warnings. I only have sympathy
for their victims, the ones who then get flooded with the amails etc.

To misquote lady Bracknell: "To be infected with one virus may be
regarded as a misfortune; to be infected with two looks like
carelessness."

>My obligation to trolls (and idiots) has now been met.

So you are now leaving? Please close the door on your way out.

Chris C

Relevant Pages

  • Re: And another one just for fun!
    ... bypasses the firewall, of course it won't prevent things. ... I have no sympathy with people who ... continually use broken software, knowing that it is broken, or who still ... "To be infected with one virus may be ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... If all you use the permanent connection for is surfing, ... A firewall that just blocks all incoming connections ... and a virus scanner to take care of the mail worms is all they've ever ... >> around the net surfing news sites or whatever it does the job. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: VIRUS FILE IN TEMP FOLDER
    ... Virus file found in temp file wrote: ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity given ...
  • Re: spyware is ruining my computer
    ... > I seemed to have picked up a trojan virus. ... > I always refused to download that thing. ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: help again !!!
    ... Were the virus definitions up-to-date? ... If Windows XP, was internal firewall enabled? ... Third party firewall (like Zone Alarm or Norton Personal Firewall) present? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)