Re: THOSE DARN ANNOYING EMAIL VIRUSES!

From: Captain Jean-Luc Picard (ussenterprise_at_starfleet.com)
Date: 08/24/03

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 02:07:32 GMT

"Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@mail.cern.ch> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.53.0308240117450.26264@lxplus101.cern.ch...
> On Sat, Aug 23, Bill Unruh inscribed on the eternal scroll:
>
> > Uh, no, you will find the machine, infected by the virus, which sent
your
> > particular email. They are as innocent as you are, except for running
> > Windows.
>
> Don't confuse being naive with being innocent. Running Windows
> doesn't *have* to make one the contemporary equivalent of a leper:
> there are precautions to be taken. After all, the threats and
> defences were known and documented, in principle, before MS even
> started writing the software which implemented the vulnerabilities in
> practice.
>

> Those who fail to take the precautions may be categorised as naive,
> but I couldn't consider them innocent.

I agree with the above comment. People who don't do the required updates to
protect their computer don't mean to cause other people to get bounced
emails, etc. However, not protecting one's computer in this day and age is
just plain being lazy and inconsiderate of the other people on the Internet
that they are inconviencing.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: If this is the straight story on the NSA database, does anyone still have a problem with it?
    ... anyone still think it's a violation of the Fourth Amendment? ... implicate an innocent by random association ... where mine has a 5 - a very easy mistake ... We Must Protect this Couch! ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Names have been changed to protect the innocent
    ... "...names have been changed to protect the innocent." ... Origins, references, discussions please. ... I've been wondering lately--is there a name for the literary device of ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Strange Error
    ... The time provider NtpClient failed to establish a trust relationship between this computer and the <domain name changed to protect the innocent> domain in order to securely synchronize time. ...
  • Re: Huang Na Killing
    ... The law must also protect the innocent and sometimes the innocent are being ... times - sometimes your friends heads especially Chinese heads were hung on ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Help on best way to gather/sort results [Array/Hash]?
    ... def parse_file ... sourceip = "SMTP" ... Removed to protect the innocent.... ... Removed to protect the innocent ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)