Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm

From: Dazz (cashdj_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/29/03

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:31:27 +1000

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:50:00 GMT, alun@texis.com (Alun Jones [MS MVP])
wrote:

>In article <MPG.198e6981fafd09f2989727@pdx.news.speakeasy.net>, Neb Revod
><spammers.biteme@flatline.com> wrote:
>>You called it, spot on, my friend. The IDS has logged a huge spike in
>>attempts at ports 445 and 139 since early yesterday.
>>
>>I've been away from the mainstream media for the last couple of days, so
>>I won't be surprised to hear that its flooded with "the sky is falling"
>>reporting.
>
>Oh-so-balanced an observation on the hysterical basis of our current media
>choices, followed by a hysterical note of your own:
>
>>It ought to be some kind of crime, albeit a minor one perhaps, to
>>operate a system that still has these vulnerabilities.
>
>More appropriate would be to make it a crime to connect to the Internet
>without a firewall.

And yet you added a hysterical note of your own?

While a firewall can add an extra layer of protection, it certainly
isn't the be-all and end-all in regards to computer security.

An improperly configured firewall *can* be worse than no firewall at
all, and if the user still doesn't practise "safe" computing methods,
than even a firewall won't necessarily save them, or others, from
harm.

A firewall may help in certain circumstances, but certainly not all
circumstances.

Dazz

>Alun.
>~~~~
>
>[Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm
    ... >More appropriate would be to make it a crime to connect to the Internet ... And yet you added a hysterical note of your own? ... While a firewall can add an extra layer of protection, ... isn't the be-all and end-all in regards to computer security. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Zone Alarm & Wireless Access Point Security
    ... who spend their days with computer security issues" are right. ... Within my experience with Zone Alarm, ... his computer games were installing all sorts ... security issues daily suggest that we all use a personal firewall. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: msconfigx32 keeps coming up
    ... the links to obtain your copy of Ad-Aware. ... >>> my firewall says msconfigx32 wants to access the internet. ... >> The Parasite Fight ... >> Home Computer Security ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Firewall answer to avoid RPC Termination?
    ... an antivirus program is absolutely not required and invaribly causes ... "Bruce Chambers" wrote in message ... > a firewall and antivirus protection. ... > it's only one component of a computer security model. ...
  • Re: The importance of Securing Your Home Computer
    ... business services I offer, nor are you recognizing the fact that there ... are a lot of people who just aren't computer security experts. ... Personal "firewall" don't even increase ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)