Re: Listening To Ports

From: Joseph Whalen (jwhalen_at_ourbasement.net)
Date: 07/21/03

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:46:14 -0400

You can also configure another application that starts on boot to bind to
that port (such as a personal web server). The two will conflict, and
depending on which starts first your mysterious application may shoot off an
error identifying itself. Not the cleanest way to flush it out, but it's
been effective for me in times when all other options have failed.

"Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
> "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@arctic.net> wrote in message
> > I do not really know anything about this. I am running 98SE on a dial
> up
> > machine. When I run netstat -an I get the following:
> >
> > Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
> > TCP 0.0.0.0:1603 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
> > TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
> >
> > Does anybody see a problem with my computer listing to ports 1603 and
> 1025?
> > If there is a problem what would I do about it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Port 1025 is listening on the loopback, which I wouldn't be too concerned
> with. What I would be concerned with is port 1603. Check to see what
> sort of applications are configured to run on startup by using the
> 'msconfig' utility. Though you may have to disable one at a time to
> determine the source.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Don Kelloway
> Commodon Communications
>
> Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
> on the Internet".

Relevant Pages

  • Re: International car shipping
    ... like to go with the same boat and to pick up my car on the destination ... port. ... It may need to be emptied of all fluids as a safety measure depending on the ... changes to stuff like lights and safety equipment. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: ONE Thing
    ... The flight to the port of debarkation. ... We solved that by going a day (sometimes 2-3, depending where; ... I don't know if Bob will change his mind, but ATM we are limited to ... (I don't mind flying as ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • [patch] ip_local_port_range sysctl has annoying default
    ... On a powerpc machine I have here with 128M of RAM, ... This setting affects the port assigned to an application by default ... varies depending on the size of the system RAM. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Installing Linux on P4 with Raid array etc...
    ... Port ... Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport ... Pentium4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2434 MHz ... (depending on clock speed) ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: what is pkg_create doing?
    ... Depending on the size of the old port ... package creation; I don't know for sure, ... would certainly advise against disabling the precautionary backup ...
    (freebsd-questions)