How do I verify a patch is applied?

From: Yong Huang (yong321_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/07/03

    Date: 7 Jul 2003 13:55:14 -0700

    Managers keep forwarding security alerts to us even though our Apache
    is running inside the firewall (the same with Oracle listeners and
    other products). So we apply the patch. But without knowing how the
    security hole is exploited, we can only show managers the output of
    httpd -v to prove our work. Are we supposed to have somebody really
    check by trying to hack? Applying security patches becomes tedious
    without knowing the exploit. But obviously we won't know it unless we
    spend a lot of time on hackers' forums. What's common practice?

    Yong Huang

    • Re: Laptop Encryption & Hibernation
      ... Try PCMapper..good solution 2 protect laptops and centrally manageable.. ... >does get the job done and adds a level of security. ... >room then a VP or Managers office. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: The procedural aspects and work valorization of an IT Security Service, Advice needed
      ... and don't broadcast your mail to all available mailing lists! ... You can start with a "business case" document to present ... your managers (what should you pay? ... I am occupying an IT Security engineer position within a telecom ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Parallel Universe of the WTC attacks
      ... > respective Airports on that particular day. ... of it was they hired useless security people, ... fire protection firms. ... managers where I worked, UL, couldn't ...
      (uk.politics.misc)
    • How do I verify a patch is applied?
      ... Managers keep forwarding security alerts to us even though our Apache ... is running inside the firewall (the same with Oracle listeners and ... without knowing the exploit. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: How do I verify a patch is applied?
      ... > Managers keep forwarding security alerts to us even though our Apache ... So we apply the patch. ... > without knowing the exploit. ...
      (comp.security.misc)