AOL, spam blocking [was: Re: Which Tungsten C encryption is more secure?]

From: Walter Roberson (roberson_at_ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca)
Date: 06/18/03

Date: 17 Jun 2003 23:23:40 GMT

In article <IVnFa.20773$MM4.4554404@news0.telusplanet.net>,
John Joot <johnjoot@hotmail.com> wrote:
:funny u should mention AOL. the other day, i tried to email to an AOL
:address and i got back a return info from their automated sys:

:554-The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic
:(residential)
:554-IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions from this IP
: 554-address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list of dynamic
: 554-(residential) IP addresses. For additional information, please visit
: 554-http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
: 554 Goodbye

:i mean, who the hell does AOL think they are? i am on DSL of a local ISP
:whose also the main telephone company in the western regions of Canada.
:spams to aol must be really really bad to be doing this.

spams to AOL *are* really really bad. As I recall, the figure
was a *billion* [US billion -- 1000 million] a -day- recently.
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/groupware/story/0,10801,79045,00.html

:in my 2yrs with my ISP, there hasn't been one instance of spam in my mail
:account with them whatsoever.

AOL is supposed to know that that particular IP address is -you-
through exactly which mechanism? You get automatically assigned a new
IP address periodically [it's once a week here in Manitoba], and the
address you have -now- might yesterday have belonged to someone who
tried to send a few million spams a day to AOL.

AOL is spending tens of millions of dollars on spam prevention per year.

--
   "The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
   -- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

Relevant Pages

  • Re: control panel and AOL does not work!!
    ... > them as I was having problem sharing the internet on the wirless network at ... > I will definitley take your suggestion and look for other ISP. ... AOL is the worst ISP there is. ...
  • Re: *&#$ AOL
    ... It's ridiculous that any ISP tries to load your system with code when all ... "Create a new connection", and enter a few pieces of information. ... There was a study done a little while ago on computers belonging to AOL ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: Darned AOL
    ... I'd seriously consider changing your ISP provider. ... AOL software is exactly the same. ... commas, go to the start up tab, find AIm in the list, and make sure the box ... apparently you have to disable AIM as your default messenger. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Sheep, youll have to regroup
    ... getting punted pretty regularly by whomever was yer ISP. ... to the top of the usenet kook of the month heap. ... AOL cut me off in mid sentence for doing such a thing lol. ... So I had to quickly find another ISP. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Turning off Firewall in AOL
    ... Unfortunately the UK is not at the modern end (so far as broadband is ... AOL in the UK does provide a decent cheap service, I have tried most of the ... > No, I wasn't really thinking of a broadband connection, although ... > My definition of an ISP is a company/service that provides nothing ...