Re: PTR? what the heck is it?

phn_at_icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Date: 06/09/03

    Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:45:53 +0000 (UTC)

    Dimitri Maziuk <dima@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > John Joot sez:
    >> i've noticed that if i check-mark all (including 4 a & b), my mail server
    >> will reject valid emails frm my friends' work place.. ie. it would reject
    >> the subdomains of xxx.workdomain.com since it is probably an internal domain
    >> or just the naming scheme of a particular computer desktop in the office.

    > Yep, those checks will block legitimate e-mail coming from misconfigured
    > hosts, so their usefulness is questionable (you can try to get remote
    > sysadmins to fix their systems, or you can ignore the fact that you're
    > losing legitimate mail, but IRL usually neither of these is acceptable).

    This has to balanced against the reception of spam. Filtering out a thousend
    of spam messages and loosing a few mails from domains run by cluless
    admins might be worth it.

    There is clearly a limit of "how bad" a site can be run and still
    be recognized as a peer whom we want to communicate.

    The point is to notify the cluless admins that "their domain stinks" and
    give them a chance to fix it. Those who don't care - well i personally
    could manage without them.

    --
    Peter Håkanson

    • Re: Rules of Conduct for Microsoft Newsgroups
      ... > conduct regarding blatant cheating. ... The reason I asked for definition of what a spammer is is because 'spam' on ... For instance, take a legitimate training company, like, umm... ... >> instructions for how to pirate any software and I'll take care of those. ...
      (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
    • Re: Debbi Figueiredo
      ... personal e-mail address should have ... not taken care of it. ... The email address is currently valid but goes to a spam bucket which doesn't get checked too often ... As far as I am concerned being online is like walking down the street. ...
      (uk.rec.waterways)
    • Re: A friends writing.
      ... anyone has gotten past all the spam on this news group and found this ... She doesn't know I am posting this. ... I care about her. ... I even think I might suffer less ...
      (misc.writing)
    • Re: Best way to reject these e-mail? [tpnet.pl]
      ... No matter the size, but ISPs don't see to those of us wqho has a home SMTP and get loads of spam from their networks, no matter how nicely we report the spam to them, they don't take any actions against the spammers, that requires that the complainer is bigger ISP than the one who has the spammers. ... If I thought there was even a /remote/ chance that an ISP would listen to any complaints I made, I'd take that route - but when even a legitimate UK-based company using a UK-based mass mailer flatly refuses to take me off their mail list, then they can queue their junk for all eternity for all I care. ... Please use the corrected version of the address below for replies. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)