Re: Security of Hotmail Popper program

From: John Joot (johnjoot_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/09/03

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:58:07 GMT

as a rule of thumb, i'm always wary of programs that would act as an
"intermediate" in order for you to access something normally...

judging from the link that you provided, www.orbit.org/hotpop, it appears
that this little program, not only allows you to access hotmail using pop
via a client such as eudora or outlook, but also acts like an smtp server
whereby you are probably open to relaying...

this is my first impression and without further experimentation, i cannot
say for sure that this is what's going on...

jj

"ccomp" <compcrafty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i've discovered a program that lets you download hotmail messages onto
> Netscape but reading these links has a lot of technical computer terms
> that I don't understand.
>
> Is this program working on my machine only or does the company behind
> the program still have involvement in it so that they end up knowing
> my user name and password as I use the program when it's acting as the
> collector before I get it onto my hard drive??? (hope you've
> understood what I'm saying.........)
>
> Here are links to the programme and other descriptions of it.......
>
> http://www.orbit.org/hotpop/
>
> http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/program.asp?program_id=146
>
> http://email.miningco.com/cs/winw2previews/gr/hotmail_popper.htm
>

> also, if anybody knows about it can you describe to me what happens?
>
> thanks !

Relevant Pages