Please help - security

From: colbyco (colbyco_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/24/03

Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 15:49:19 GMT

I've heard of software that can be installed on a pc so that if it is
stolen, the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in
theory you can recover your computer.

Can someone recommend one of these vendors?

Also, I'm assuming that since this is a software package, replacing the hard
drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this
protection.

In that respect, are there any hardware solutions or can we register the
system board/cpu etc with a security company so that that they will phone
home via IP when dialed up or cable connected if the desktop pc is stolen?

Relevant Pages

  • Please help - security
    ... the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in ... Also, I'm assuming that since this is a software package, replacing the hard ... drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • REQ - Prevent Computer Theft
    ... the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in ... Also, I'm assuming that since this is a software package, replacing the hard ... drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • PC Phone Home
    ... the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in ... Also, I'm assuming that since this is a software package, replacing the hard ... drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • REQ - Prevent Computer Theft
    ... the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in ... Also, I'm assuming that since this is a software package, replacing the hard ... drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Please help - security
    ... even if this was the case if someone stole ur machine they would format and ... delete the mbr so it wouldnt work anyway. ... the pc phones home via IP when dialed up or cable connected and in ... > drive or deleting the mbr through low level format will defeat this ...
    (alt.computer.security)