Re: Origin of the term "salt" in computer security

paul_at_atom.sbrk.co.uk
Date: 05/10/03

Date: 10 May 2003 17:52:29 GMT

In article <vbo29s84hsrl7d@corp.supernews.com>, Scott B. wrote:
> Brad Rubin wrote:
>> I put out a challange question to my computer security class asking
>> them to find the origin for the word "salt" in computer security.

> Could it be related to the old gold mining claim cheat? Someone
> considering buying a gold mining claim would be tricked into thinking
> the ground was richer in gold than it really was. A sample of the
> dirt would be shoveled into a gold pan, then the seller would "salt
> the pan" surreptitiously with gold.

Yes :)

>From the horse's mouth, email from Ken Thompson:

: RE: Etymology of "to salt" in passwords

: "salting a mine" is placing
: a small amount of gold in a mine
: to raise expectations that it
: is a real gold mine.

Paul

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Origin of the term "salt" in computer security
    ... >> I put out a challange question to my computer security class asking ... > considering buying a gold mining claim would be tricked into thinking ... > dirt would be shoveled into a gold pan, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: gold
    ... discovered gold in Otago NZ in 1861. ... the magneto fluffed up ... in the gold pan and I lift ... the black sand with the magnet. ...
    (rec.arts.poems)
  • Re: would you buy a gold mine?
    ... the gold was stolen while in transit. ... When we stayed at Pilot Knob RV park west of Winterhaven, CA one winter, there was an interesting desert rat from Arkansas who spent all his free time exploring the desert north of I-8 on his 4 wheeler. ... a gold pan and a couple of GI cans of water on board. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: (OT) : The Rumble from California sure sounds like a Big Voter...
    ... When I lived in Montana in 1956, my dad bought a gold pan (for panning ... in the water for gold) for me.I didn't find any gold in those streams ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: If you buy gold you are an IDIOT
    ... I find myself agreeing with the conclusion (selling and buying ... >> gold is evil), and disagreeing with every single argument you use to support ... I'll play whatever game I damn ... likes cheats, and its not unreasonable for people who dont cheat to ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)