Re: Pros/Cons Open Source Security

n1pop_at_hotmail.com
Date: 05/07/03

Date: 7 May 2003 12:28:03 -0700

"Mr Sean Ness" <s4012002@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message news:<b9ar7v$4k0$1@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>...
> Hey all,
>
> I am a university student doing a report on the pros and cons of open source
> security systems. I've been searching on the 'net, and have found many good
> summaries of the argument, but I need more details / evidence. In addition, most
> websites end up favouring the pro-open source arguments.
>
> Does anyone know any books or journal articles that discuss the open source
> security debate in detail, or any sources that are actually opposed to open
> source security?
>
> Any links or references you guys could give me would be helpful.
>
> Sean

IMHO, I doubt anything will be in book form because the debate is so
dynamic. As an example, I did a Google search for "open source
security debate" and the second link was to InternetWeek which says a
study found OSS to be less vulnerable than CSS like Microsoft
products. Yet another link to a ZDNET story says OSS is more
vulnerable. The two sides will likely continue to bandy stats back
and forth, claiming the other is more vulnerable.

I did find a white paper at www.adti.net that might help you in your
quest. And you may find evidence at www.cert.org, the group
responsible for documenting vulnerabilities.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MS Not Trust ist PSS/Gold Partners with Early Security/Vuln.
    ... As far as early release of specific information about a vulnerability, ... awaiting the patch. ... > attempt to maintain the veiled image of "real security", ... > both chose open source solutions. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • REVIEW: "Open Source Security Tools", Tony Howlett
    ... The tools listed in this book are for network security, ... Chapter one outlines the open source concept, ... most reviews of software tools, and the details are clear for all who ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • REVIEW: "Open Source Security Tools", Tony Howlett
    ... The tools listed in this book are for network security, ... Chapter one outlines the open source concept, ... most reviews of software tools, and the details are clear for all who ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Two MSIE 6.0/7.0 NULL pointer crashes
    ... it comes to security response - certainly not as often as portrayed. ... open source community is inherently responsive - does not even deserve ... Both in the open source and in the closed source world, ... And only if a vulnerability is a threat to adoption of a product is that ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: DHS Open Source Hardening Project
    ... Vulnerability Discovery and Remediation, Open Source Hardening ... tighten up code in regards to security? ... co-authored three books. ... seems to be well upstream from the Fedora Project. ...
    (Fedora)