Re: Someone storing their MP3s on my hard drive???

From: Steve (steve_at_spamtrap.org)
Date: 04/27/03

    Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:14:35 +0100

    In news:Xns93685A15FE9E1jbuserspc9org@205.200.16.73,
    Jem Berkes <jb@users.pc9.org> typed:
    >> Found today 3 Gigs worth of MP3 files on my computer. Is it possible
    >> for someone to just store their files on my hard drive? How do I
    >> prevent this?
    >
    > Don't bother trying to find out how someone got in. They either
    > guessed a password and logged in over the internet,

    If this were the case then you should add some steps to your points below

    > or exploited some
    > out of date software running on your computer, or took advantage of a
    > virus/trojan already on your system, etc, etc. WHAT YOU MUST DO NOW:
    >
    > * disconnect the computer from the Internet
    >
    > * back up any important data you want to keep
    >
    > * re-install the OS, all apps from scratch (wipe out original HD)
    >
    > * after re-install run Windows Update repeatedly until you are
    > completely up to date. Install any service packs your OS needs.
    >
    > * install a firewall; try to avoid software firewalls if possible. An
    > old computer can be configured as a firewall using linux or you can
    > buy a dedicated hardware firewall.
    >
    > * after you have a working firewall, then connect your machine to the
    > net

    If it is a windows box, disable file & printer sharing, ideally uninstall
    the server service, disable netbios over TCPIP, disable the remote registry
    service, disable messenger, disable run as service. Yes a filewall can
    prevent this but only is configured correctly, best to disable/remove
    unncessary services

    • Re: Recent security updates - now cant send emails
      ... Or should I have disabled the firewall when I was installing the updates? ... Socket Error 10053 is a sure indication for a firewall blocking a port. ... Disable/remove that rule. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • RE: Company Firewalls IP Address
      ... |I was doing security research on the internet at work yesterday....when all ... |address to the entire internet. ... So I assume you route through the firewall machine. ... that would probably bother them, especially if you were up to no good. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • WkUFind.exe
      ... >OEM). ... When I searched the internet for this file I ... disable/remove this process ... wireless zero configuration it will keep your wireless ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Is there a way to resolve attackers IP address?
      ... In short don't bother. ... Be happy that your firewall is doing it's job. ... height of some worm activity on the internet I could see thousands of ...
    • What is Generic Host Process
      ... Generic Host Process for Win32 Services v5.1.2600 ... This keeps trying to access the internet, ... How can I disable/remove it? ...
      (microsoft.public.security)