Re: SSL Certificate - Self-Generated vs 3rd Party ?

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 03/11/03

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:44:59 GMT

In article <b4kt6o$e60$1@hood.uits.indiana.edu>, "Mark H. Wood"
<mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu> wrote:
>Interesting. Purchasing cert.s via email from some host claiming to
>be Verisign is considered more secure than hand delivery of home-baked
>cert.s by people known to each other by sight. Who'd a thunk it?

Shows what a good job Verisign et al have done on the marketing. I wonder
what would happen if they turned as much energy towards security and
reliability?

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSL Certificate - Self-Generated vs 3rd Party ?
    ... Purchasing cert.s via email from some host claiming to ... be Verisign is considered more secure than hand delivery of home-baked ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: SSL Key Install Question
    ... >OK so we suck it up and pay the $100 to get another key ... If you're within a short window, you might be able to get a free ... re-issue of your certificate with a different public key, only Verisign will ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
  • Re: Verisign Managed PKI Browser Emulation Protocol
    ... > So you're comparing securing the root keypair of a complex CA hierarchy ... the whole idea of a private CA (including an MPKI one) ... stays secure but your client cert (I mean the one you log into MPKI ... So whatever Verisign is doing to secure their high level keys does ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • data security
    ... in General terms if a web site is using https or Verisign ... Also how secure is using something like Verizon's broadband wireless ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: SSL Cert to secure Web access
    ... >Can anyone recommend an issuer for a certificate to secure our OWA? ... >had a look at Verisign and Thwate but they're both a bit pricey. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)