Re: SSL Certificate - Self-Generated vs 3rd Party ?

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 03/11/03

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:44:59 GMT

In article <b4kt6o$e60$1@hood.uits.indiana.edu>, "Mark H. Wood"
<mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu> wrote:
>Interesting. Purchasing cert.s via email from some host claiming to
>be Verisign is considered more secure than hand delivery of home-baked
>cert.s by people known to each other by sight. Who'd a thunk it?

Shows what a good job Verisign et al have done on the marketing. I wonder
what would happen if they turned as much energy towards security and
reliability?

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.