Re: WLAN public access

From: fatpig (nospam-admin@best-quote.com)
Date: 03/11/03

From: "fatpig" <nospam-admin@best-quote.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:44:35 -0000

Jim thanks for the interesting suggestion.

Could you also advise on what the best methods, in terms of simplicity, are
to actually secure a WLAN - above WEP.

Thanks

"Jim Grimmett" <cssjwg@bath.ac.uk> wrote in message
> "fatpig" <nospam-admin@best-quote.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been asked to configure a WLAN in a cafe. The cafe will have an
> > office which will require secure access, and the public area which
should
> > allow anyone with a WLAN card to gain access with no config involved. Is
> > this possible?
> >
> > Your experienced opinions are welcome.
>
> Well, it depends what you want each area to be able to do.
>
> Assuming you want both the WLAN (call it public) and the office
> (call it private) to have internet access your best bet is to
> put a firewall in and create two network segments, one for private
> and one for public.
>
> On the private one give them lots of access out and on the
> public one only give them access out to things they're
> going to use.
>
> You may need to open ports _in_ for specific tasks (like SMTP
> for either side, or FTP to private or UDP ports for Unreal T, etc).
>
> Bascially PLAN IT OUT before you start and work out exactly
> how you want each segment to communicate with the rest of the
> world and each other.
>
> IMHO you shouldn't trust the public side of the network AT ALL
> as, even with 128bit WEP and limiting to MAC addresses it's
> trivial to gain access...
>
> Jim.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WLAN public access
    ... > I have been asked to configure a WLAN in a cafe. ... > allow anyone with a WLAN card to gain access with no config involved. ... put a firewall in and create two network segments, one for private ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)
    ... *Why* would anyone in his right mind want to do ... said LAN, or WLAN. ... or dedicated AP IS "secure" right out of the box. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Does SSL "secure" WEP?
    ... I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't ... support WPA. ... If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, ... Just to add to the fire - MINM SSL attacks are no safer over a wired ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Does SSL "secure" WEP?
    ... I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't ... support WPA. ... If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: IPSO/Secure Platform audit
    ... > GUI of the SPLAT manager is fine, they're both patched and the policy ... FREE WHITE PAPER - Wireless LAN Security: What Hackers Know That You Don't Learn the hacker's secrets that compromise wireless LANs. ... Secure your WLAN by understanding these threats, available hacking tools and proven countermeasures. ... Defend your WLAN against man-in-the-Middle attacks and session hijacking, denial-of-service, rogue access points, identity thefts and MAC spoofing. ...
    (Pen-Test)