Re: End of all Open Source.

From: Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu)
Date: 03/06/03

From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.security.misc Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> wrote:
> In article <e3nc6vctfkutoajk6so9ig4g802vj3u01d@4ax.com>,
> Bradley Bungmunch <Bradley@Bungmunch.com> wrote:
>>If this bug had been announced straight away, it would also have been
>>fixed almost immediately. Instead they kept it quiet and it took three
>>months for a fix to be issued.
>
> Yet, as far as we know, it was never exploited during that time. So the
> system seemed to work.

Yes, "as far as we know". I had to wonder if part of the reason for the
delay was that the intel. guys weren't through using it. :-/

[snip]
> Telling people about a vulnerability without providing practical solutions
> is like the terror alerts that out government keeps announcing. I'm just
> not sure what the analogy is to sealing your house with plastic and duct
> tape. :)

Those total-network-security-in-a-box products come to mind.

MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".

Relevant Pages

  • Re: End of all Open Source.
    ... >>If this bug had been announced straight away, ... Instead they kept it quiet and it took three ... > is like the terror alerts that out government keeps announcing. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: POWDER 104 Released
    ... One question and one possiblebug. ... The description of Quizar states he prefers quiet. ... No matter what I wear my noise level cycles through noisy,silent ... does not get loaded until you start a game. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.misc)
  • Re: End of all Open Source.
    ... >>If this bug had been announced straight away, ... So what was the point in the delay? ... I said - in a previous paragraph - people who don't patch their ... *caused* by the very fact that the bug was kept secret. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: End of all Open Source.
    ... >>If this bug had been announced straight away, ... So what was the point in the delay? ... I said - in a previous paragraph - people who don't patch their ... *caused* by the very fact that the bug was kept secret. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Flash not layering right
    ... On Wednesday November 18 2009 11:49:45 pm Basil Chupin wrote: ... Not yet, but soon, so be quiet. ... And which is this "really bad bug" that you are talking abut? ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)